We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week vacation, using Antigonish as home base?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 week vacation, using Antigonish as home base?

Our teenage sons will be at a summer camp in Ontario this summer and we have decided to combine this with a family vacation after their camp has finished. I am looking at a vacation house rental in Antigonish and am wondering if this is a reasonable homebase for the activities that we love: birdwatching, kayaking, hiking, biking, beachcombing, culture.

Malagash
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week vacation, using Antigonish as home base?

Hello Oregon,

Antigonish is a reasonable home base as it gives you easy acess to Cape Breton (45 mins puts you on the island, but it is further from Halifax, the South Shore, PEI and the Valley - all areas of interest. Being here for three weeks will give you lots of time to explore. For swimming you really need to be on the Northumberland Strait (Antigonish is near this - the cottage you are looking may be on the Strait - if not look for one that is.

I live in the Malagash area which is also on the Norhtumberland Strait and being bias I would suggest you have a look at it.Although 4 hours from Cape Breton it is much more central to the other areas of interest. It is on the Sunrise Trail and has a wonderful mile long sand beach, the roads are quite, thus great for biking, bird watching is excelent and star gazing is incredible. I know you didn't mention star gazing, but until you have seen our night sky!! The other thing folks mention alot is the silence - it is deafening! Have a look at www.heronshoal.com as that web site will tell you just about everything you need to know about the area. Hope you have a great vacation and let me know if I can be of any further help.

Dancove

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week vacation, using Antigonish as home base?

Hi Dancove: Your reply is greatly appreciated and I will use your suggestions as places to visit during our stay in Nova Scotia. A week ago, I put down a deposit on a rental house just outside of Antigonish. I've been doing more reading about the area and I think that there will be plenty of area hikes/sea kayaking to do from our homebase. My husband and I are also planning to hike, kayak and birdwatch on Newfoundland the week before our stay on Nova Scotia and we are looking forward to that!

3. Re: 3 week vacation, using Antigonish as home base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Antigonish