We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Vacation

Kannapolis, North...
Level Contributor
25 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
July Vacation

My husband are considering vacationing in Nova Scotia in July. We would like to attend the Highland Games in Antigonish. We are wondering about the weather in July. Is it rainy and foggy?

Mentioned in this post
Antigonish
Antigonish
Nova Scotia, Canada
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Vacation

I find here in Cape Breton that every year is different. Last July was beautiful but last August was rain, rain, and more rain. This is unusual for August. Our weather in the Maritimes can be very unpredictable. Our temp. in July and August run from 20-28 (72-88) then with the humidex some cans can feel even warmer.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Vacation

Hi CarolinaGypsy, as proudcaper mentioned, every year can be different - and every region of the province! Last August much of the province was very wet, while here in Advocate Harbour area we were very dry, probably something to do with the big capes an either side of us with the village at sea level. 30 miles away from us they had over double the rain we got! As a outdoor adventure guide, I was very appreciative of this strange weather phenomenon!

Some areas are much more prone to fog than others. But then Fog can make for interesting discoveries as a mystical veil swirls and shifts to reveal picturesque headlands, some of the best pictures I have ever taken are as the fog lifts, following valleys inland and sweeping over cliffs. Being in a area with high cliffs such in the Advocate Harbour area and Cape Breton Highlands helps to get such effects.

Antigonish gets very little fog compared to places like the shore from Yarmouth to Shelburne and the eastern shore from Halifax to Canso. Places like this can have fog setle in and remain for days. On the Bay of Fundy, especially in the southern part, fog is also known to hang around for days at a time. As you move up the Fundy towards Advocate Harbour a foggy morning usually gives way to sunny afternoons. Many people who live in the Annapolis Valley, where there is rarely any fog, escape to the Fundy shore to get out of the heat in the Valley. Some summers can be drought, great for travellers but not so great for gardens or farmers, some years very wet, and some can be just about perfect for everyone. I vote for a perfect summer!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Vacation

Hello CarolinaGypsy "

I would say you've chosen a good time to visit weatherwise. As mentioned, late summer last year was wet but as we have so many diverse geograhical areas it does vary region by region.

I was talking to some local Cape Sable Islanders earlier this year and typically they being our most southwesterly region and best known for fog at that time of year told me they had enjoyed one of their clearest and driest summers while we up the coast about 100 miles had way more then usual rainfall.

Certainly hoping for a nice sunny and moderately dry summer this year, winter has been cruel and long !

blondie **

4. Re: July Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigonish