We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

hi all.

we are looking at staying in halifax in september but the hotels in dartmouth seem to be more in our budget range so we are wondering if it would be worth staying there and taking a cab (or are there other options ) to get to the halifax waterfront.

can anyone local give us a approx cost to and from there please.

cheers

5 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

There is a passenger ferry from Dartmouth to Halifax than lands right where you want to be on the Halifax side. There could even be a bus connection on the Dartmouth side depending on location of hotel and how late you want to stay on the Halifax side.

https:/…93Dartmouth_Ferry_Service

http://tinyurl.com/n94lyg5

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

It really depends where you'll be staying in Dartmouth, where I live and where I use buses and taxis regularly. You might take a look at the Holiday Inn Harbourview (check that their renovations will be finished by Sept.) or the Blockhouse Hill B&B http://www.blockhousehillbedandbreakfast The latter is a 5 minute walk to the ferry. The former is a 5 minute bus ride to the ferry and across the street from a bus terminal, where any number of buses will take you to downtown Halifax. From those 2 locations, cab fare during the day would be around $20. At night, it depends. The bridge is closed on weeknights from 7:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. The work should be finished by "Fall 2017" but who knows. During those hours, another bridge must be used, which means a much longer, more expensive journey.

Bus fare: The ferry is part of the bus system, which is cash/ticket only. (Tickets can be bought at the bus terminal mentioned above or at a convenience store very near the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal.) The fare for adults is cash $2.50 or 10 tickets for $20.00. For seniors it is cash $1.75 or 10 tickets for $14.50. When paying the fare, ask for a transfer. This can be used for up to 2 hours, on any bus or ferry, any number of times, going in any direction.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I counted the other day and there are 20 restaurants/coffee shops/snack bars/take-outs/pubs within a 4 block radius of the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

Personally, I would not want the hassle of cabs or buses and the time it wastes. The only hotel I would consider in Dartmouth is the one near the Macdonald bridge so you could easily walk and take the ferry or catch a bus directly across the street.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

The one near the Macdonald Bridge is the Holiday Inn Harbourview.

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront

thanks guys -great info

Reply to: taxi dartmouth/halifax waterfront
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dartmouth