We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dartmouth Ferry Crossing to Halifax and hotels/motels

Port Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dartmouth Ferry Crossing to Halifax and hotels/motels

Does anyone have intormation on the Dartmouth Ferry parking? We plan to stay on the Darmouth side during the week so I have a few questions:

1. I'm sure there are alot of people that ferry commute to Halifax from Dartmouth during the week so will parking be a problem if you want to park at the ferry after the work rush?

2. Is there a charge for ferry parking?

3. What is the distance, if you stayed near the MacKay Bridge, to the ferry?

4. Anyone recommend a hotel/motel in the area, that has good beds and service and that doesn't charge for parking?

5. When arriving in Halivax via ferry, for a couple of older folks-who do walk but not extensively, will we be able to see all the downtown sites without too much uphill walking?

6. If we drove over, would there be ample parking at the waterfront and is there a charge?

Well, that's all I can think of. If anyone can help me with this if will be so appreciated. And, if I've forgotten anything please add any comments you have.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Halifax Region, Canada
22 replies to this topic
Port Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dartmouth Ferry Crossing to Halifax and hotels/motels

Thanks for the information. I would never have even thought Lunenburg was hilly. These are things the books don't tell you. I'm leaning towards Mahone Bay but I guess we better start building up our leg muscles!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dartmouth Ferry Crossing to Halifax and hotels/motels

I am glad you decided on the Best Western Chocolate Lake. It was recently renovated and looks great from the outside. (I haven't been inside.) It is in a residential neighbourhood near the Armdale roundabout. You can walk to a pizza takeaway (Euro Pizza I think) and to an upscale diner called the Armview.

Driving to the ferry from near the MacKay bridge is sort of counter productive because by the time you get to the ferry terminal, you might as well have driven across the bridge to downtown Halifax - it would be a matter of 3-5 more minutes. That said, the ferry is fun - worth taking just to get a coffee across the harbour at Two If By Sea.

I used to live near the Best Western Chocolate Lake and the problem with the bus service was that it wasn't very frequent, especially heading back from downtown after work. This was 8-10 years ago but my sense is nothing has changed much.

You don't have to worry about not finding a parking space downtown, it's just expensive. Parking near the waterfront runs $16 per day and about $12 per day around Spring Garden Road. I would not bother with meters or street parking unless you know for sure you'll be less than two hours. The parking enforcement folks are ruthlessly efficient.

My mom visits almost every summer and found a clever way to avoid the hills downtown. Go to the Scotia Square mall (entrance off Barrington St.) and follow the signs for the pedway to Brunswick Street. Presto! No hill.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Brunswick
Brunswick
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Reply to: Dartmouth Ferry Crossing to Halifax and hotels/motels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dartmouth