We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry - How to get tickets

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry - How to get tickets

Hi. originally planned on staying i the Hydrostone area via AirBnb but changed my mind when i got the chance for a great deal in a Dartmouth hotel close to the habour. But im wondering how the ferry work...do i have to get tickets or do i walk right up and pay when boarding? or ? Looking forward to be able to use the boat service and se some of that part of the area also.

6 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

The ferry is part of the regular transit system.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fares.php

www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/ferries.php

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

Hi thanks - Already found this site and very low cost by the way but what im trying to figure out is how to board the ferries. Do i have to go to a store and buy the ticket then wait for the ferry or do i walk up to the ferry and pay the "conductor" like i would on a regular bus fx. Ive looked through the site and cant find a guide to that.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

You walk up to the ferry terminal and buy & submit your ticket at the ticket booth.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 19:47
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

It is great staying in Dartmouth near the ferry. Enjoy your time and your little 'cruises'.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

The ferries in Halifax work just like the bus. You either give them a bus ticket or transfer ticket you have purchased or you give them exact change for the ferry cost. There is a change machine located in the ferry terminals in case you don't have the exact change. You just put your money or ticket in the slot as you walk into the ferry boarding area. Very easy, you'll have no problem. You can buy bus/ferry tickets at various places around the city but the easiest way is to just use exact change.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry - How to get tickets

As GreyWolf wrote, you can use the machines or cash at the Ferry Terminal (adult $2.50, Senior/Child $1.75) or you can buy a strip of 10 tickets (adult $20, Senior/child $14.50). To buy strips from the Dartmouth side, go into Alderney Landing, on Alderney Drive. immediately inside, there'll be a branch of the public library on your left and a convenience store on your right. The store sells strips of tickets, but it's not open on weekends. To get to the ferry from there, take the escalators up, walk the passage over the railway tracks, and either take the stairs down and walk straight ahead or the elevator down to "M" and turn right. When you pay your cash fare or your ticket, ask for a transfer, just in case you want to come back within 2 hours in which case you can use it to return without paying an additional fare, You can also use that transfer on any bus within the 2 hours.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 04:26
Reply to: Ferry - How to get tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dartmouth