We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brier Island whale watching tour

ontario, cda
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Brier Island whale watching tour

Hi all: How much travel time should I allow from Bridgetown. Am I understanding correctly that I need to take a ferry with my car to get there?? Answers to any other questions I might not know I need to ask would be appreciated. (Incl direction if there is a better forum in which to post - I'm hoping to go tomorrow so prompt posting of the question was/is a concern.)Thanks much

cooki56

7 replies to this topic
New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Unless you really want to go to Brier Island, there's a whale watching trip from East Ferry.

http://www.ppww.ca/html/location.html

It's aprox an hour's drive from Bridgetown & means you don't need to take the 2 ferries to Brier Island. All the tours go to the same place, wherever the whales happen to be feeding that day. If you'd like to visit Brier Island, it's an interesting place to visit. It would take aprox another hour from East Ferry. http://www.brierisland.org/info.html

ontario, cda
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

excellent! thanks . . .I wasn't seeing any other non zodiac type vessels. Do you happen to know what age their srs rate kicks in??

Nova Scotia Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Whale warching-Ferry Information from Digby to Brier Island-From Digby (Exit 26) to the first ferry at East Ferry to Tiverton it is a 45 minutes drive and the first ferry leaves East Ferry on the half hour-trip is 5 minutes over to Tiverton, and then a 25 minute drive to the 2nd ferry from Freeport to Brier Island-7 minutes. This ferry leaves on the hour. In busy times (when there are vehicles left in the line-up, the ferry goes back and forth. Cost of a ticket on each ferry is $7 return or you can use a punch card which can be used on other NS ferries (eg. La Have ferry, Englishtown ferry), The punch card sells for $17.50-5 trips or $35 for 10 trips-$3.50/ trip.

To avoid disappointment, you should call to reserve your whale watching trip (especially mid-July-September).

The zodiac trips have begun from Brier Island and look to be full each trip now. The 2 main whale watching boat businesses on Brier Island have opened for the season.

It is a good idea to google the information and check the weather and times of departure.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Their Senior rates start at 60 yrs of age.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Here is a link to our Bay of Fundy information which includes lists of operators for whale watching and a map of the area: http://bit.ly/2lGS07p

You will have to contact them about rates.

ontario, cda
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Thanks to all. I ended up going with Petit Passage at East Ferry. It was the first one reached from my accommodations, no ferry service required and a great day out. (And yes they did offer a srs (over 60) discount. It was a GREAT day out

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brier Island whale watching tour

Glad to hear that you had a great day with the whales.

Reply to: Brier Island whale watching tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Digby