We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John-Digby ferry

Newton(Boston), MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
St. John-Digby ferry

How rough is the ferry crossing from St. John to Digby? are you able to sit outside (weather permitting)?

22 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

Weather permitting, there are spaces to walk around outsides and I think there are a few places to sit.

Depending on the season, the crossing can be very calm or very rough. For example, the crossing was cancelled earlier this week due to high winds and rough seas. We just returned from Maine today and would not have even attempted the ferry today, as the winds are high.

However, in the summer, we normally take the ferry and in fact, already have booked our crossing for the summer.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

What is the normal schedule in summer. Not listed on web site now.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

Usually in the summer there are 2-3 crossings in each direction - morning, afternoon and a late evening crossing.

The schedule for summer will probably be posted by late February, early March. Sometimes there are slight changes to the early morning crossings.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

We used this ferry last year in July. I would recommend booking ahead online. If I remember correctly the summer schedule was not posted until closer to March/April online.

It is a 3 hour long crossing, so if you get a chance, walk around outside, visit the gift shop, talk to the representatives for the NS and NB Tourism for any questions you may have, etc.

They have a cafeteria on board, a place to sit and watch a movie, and they also have wifi.

Enjoy you trip!

If you are getting off the ferry in Digby, enjoy some world famous scallops, and stop in at a near by winery. I think Bear River is close by and there are 2 wineries in the area.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

i took it in august, you had to be careful walking around but i didn't find it too rough. yum...digby scallops. wasn't a big fan of st john so wouldn't spend much time there.

Mount Hope, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

What time are the crossing at the end of June and the price for a motorcycle and a small trailer? How long does it take to cross?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,337 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

A very simple google search gives the website with information:

nfl-bay.com/princess-of-acadia-ferry-schedul…

USA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

Would you recommend bringing the car on the ferry, or is it okay to leave it behind and just ride the ferry across. If we can get a hotel in Digby, eat scallops, & go on a whale watching tour, all without needing a car, I'd just as soon leave the car (about $100 to bring it). Can anyone tell me if I'd miss having the car in Digby? We plan on just staying a couple of days.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

You could leave the car and do the hotel, scallops and whale watching, but there is a reason that most whale watch operators are out on the Digby Neck from Tiverton to Brier Island - thats where they have the easiest access to where the whales feed. You need a car to get to those places. You can have scallops throughout the province - the Digby fleet is the largest but they fish the entire Bay of Fundy for the scallops so they are actually Bay of Fundy scallops and can be enjoyed fresh around the bay - the best I have ever had have been at the Wild Caraway in Advocate Harbour, which from their reviews here on TA you will see is a common view.

boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John-Digby ferry

I just took the ferry yesterday (June 20th) and while the crossing was not at all rough (it was a beautiful day) it was very windy at the front of the ferry BUT if you go to the back (where there are benches) it was sheltered and warm.

Reply to: St. John-Digby ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Digby