We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

I am looking for specific advice on travelling from Montreal to Quebec City this July. We will have one day to travel and will stay one night on the way in the Eastern Townships. My questions:

What are the must see towns given that we have only 1 day and where should we stay overnight?

Suggested itineraries welcome!

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$91.10*
Best Seller
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,149 Reviews
from US$44.30*
Best Seller
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
622 Reviews
from US$43.60*
14 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

We stayed in Magog as it was central to the area and it does give you an opportunity to visit some of the other villages on the way there including a detour to see the Abbaye St Benoit du Lac.

then went via St George the Windsor to go past this roadside attraction to get to QC https://flic.kr/p/MVJ4oX

this is the brochure for the towns along the way http://www.easterntownships.org/

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Magog is a good choice if you are heading up to QC. Other nice towns to explore might be Bromont and Sutton. Lots of picturesque wineries, particularly in the Dunham area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

North Hadley if you like tiny, quaint and very scenic villages. It's definitely tops in that category.

Not enough there to want to stay overnight, IMO, but great place to go for a lunch or similar. Get it to go and sit in the small park on the lake.

Magog is a really good place to stay for access to restaurants, shops ect. They also have a really nice scenic water front park.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Bromont where we actually are this evening. On the Route du Vin with a great Old Village with plenty of shops and restaurants. Like Bistro 633 where we ate this evening. Terrific food and wine.

JDP

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Brouemont brew pub is another fun place. We love Bromont - heading there Sunday for some biking and wine tasting.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Even though Bromont is a great town it does not get you to see a lot of the Eastern Township if you were planning on staying there for the night, so maybe lunch there then after lunch head to the Abbaye the long way along something like this https://goo.gl/maps/mUBn3dj7f892 and stay the night in Magog or even North Hatley if you want quaint rural setting. https://flic.kr/p/MyZX3T

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

I'm not sure if i agree with the above - granted Magog is a great town, but Bromont is certainly well situated to explore wineries, bike or hike.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

The only reason I suggested getting as far as Magog is that they are coming from Montreal and going to Quebec City the next day and from what I gather not spending the few days needed to get to the other villages to explore.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

you very much for the great ideas!

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships

Thank you all for your ideas. It has really helped me zone in on a few towns for our limited time.

A follow up question...Where would be a decent/interesting place to just spend the night close to Quebec City. The idea is that we would be able to leave in the morning and be in Quebec city early to have most of the day there.

Thank you!!

Reply to: advice on Montreal to Quebec City through Eastern Townships
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted