We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simple budget question for food

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Simple budget question for food

Hi and thanks for reading!

My husband and I will be in Montreal in September for a long weekend. We plan to throw down serious cash for one or two nice dinners ($150 or so usd per meal.)

However, when out sightseeing and grabbing typical lunches or lighter dinners, how much should we budget?

Also, what's the average price point for a cocktail or beer in your experience?

We're staying in Old Montreal, if that helps.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,777 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Restaurant Tandem
$$$$, French, European, Fusion
Damas Restaurant
$$$$, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Bar a tapas Sorocco
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, European, Spanish
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simple budget question for food

A beer is about $8 plus tax and a cocktail is generally from $9-$15 depending on the place.

Food is not too bad... I would say $15 a meal plus tip at a cheaper place. Old Montreal is the most expensive part of town, so if you’re planning on eating there all the time, probably closer to $20 plus tip.(this is in Canadian dollars)

Make sure you explore other areas because there are so many cool neighbourhoods in Montreal.

Mentioned in this post
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,777 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Simple budget question for food

Whatever you would spend in a large city, it's going to be similar here...but in CAD.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
62 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simple budget question for food

For light lunches, excluding drinks, you're looking at $15-25 per person.

For casual dinners, factor in $30-45 per person, assuming starter + main dish.

Beers are $5-8, cocktails $8-15, depending on the place.

Everything cited here is before taxes, tips, drinks and in Canadian Dollars. Taxes are about 15%, tips another 15%, so you're really adding 33% on top of all these figures.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 23:41
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Simple budget question for food

I find food prices pretty close to what I'm used to in Boston so you can use your location of DC as a guide.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Simple budget question for food

One of the great things about Montreal is the wonderful cheap eats. From piping hot bagels to delicious samosas at Pushap's to Qin Hua dumplings to Nutella crepes or orange juleps, there is a plethora of awesome grub to be had for under $10, and sometimes even less than $5!

https://www.mtlblog.com/20-montreal-restaura…

I rarely bother with the $15-$20 restaurants in Montreal because I like experiential eats. Many of the cheap hole-in-the-wall places offer both great food and a cool experience, while many of the mid-range places are blander both food and experience wise. That said, some excellent restaurants offer $15 lunch menus (wine is extra).

Have fun, and don't be afraid of going cheap. Some of the best restaurants in Montreal cost about the same as MacDonald's.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Simple budget question for food

15$ is what a nice lunch will cost. Nice dinner without wine is like 30$/person. This is in CAD and before taxes and tip. Use tripadvisor to look the Economic restaurants and their ratings, as well as the fine dining options. Just know that Montreal is a foodie destination and you can't go wrong! I generally get a beer for about 6$ in restaurants and wine between 8-12$/glass. In bars that can get cheaper!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Simple budget question for food

Wow in Old Montreal, just walk St. Paul Street I would suggest Montreal Poutine, Usine Spaghetti, Crèpe Suzette, Modavie (jazz included) . The sandwiches at Van Winkle on St. Paul are really good. Basically you cannot go wrong by walking St. Paul Street from Marché Bonsecours (a required stop in Old Montreal) and St. Pierre Street. And since you will be on St. Paul street walk in the various art galleries, there are many they are all beautiful.

If you have not picked you expensive dinners, I would like to suggest Au Pied de Cochon and Queue de Cheval.

Enjoy, Montreal is a beautiful city

Edited: 25 June 2018, 02:57
Mentioned in this post
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,777 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Hotel St Paul
Hotel St Paul
1,434 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal Poutine