We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware driving noth on 91/55 heading to Montreal

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Beware driving noth on 91/55 heading to Montreal

Just got back from a great short holiday up north but there are a couple of trouble spots to be aware of if you heading to Montreal via US Route 91 and Canadian route 55.

First, at the border there is construction going on the US side. Everything converges into one lane before the trucks and buses go into different lanes. It can take a while to go through.

Second, after you hit Canadian route 55 which takes you to Route 10 and Montreal beware that the exit heading west onto 10 is closed for construction. There are detour signs but they are small. You head east on 10 for a mile or so before turning around. Don't rely on your navigation system. I know my way around but we were using it as we were going to get off later in Bromont for the night. The navigation system had me do a complete circle back onto 55 and the closed exit. Fortunately the second time around I saw the small detour signs which I eventually followed.

Bottom line, if you can come north via US Route 89 do it!!.

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Bromont
Bromont
Quebec, Canada
2 replies to this topic
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
984 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware driving noth on 91/55 heading to Montreal

Thanks for the heads up - we might be going up next week. We've found the I-89 crossing is usually ok on weekday mornings.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware driving noth on 91/55 heading to Montreal

My pleasure. Yes we cam back through on 89 and there was no construction there, just long lines from people returning from the Montreal Grand Prix.

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Reply to: Beware driving noth on 91/55 heading to Montreal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;