We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

Hi,

i will be traveling to Montreal during the first week of July. This forum has been so helpful so I hope folks can answer a few questions I have.

I am thinking on traveling from Washington DC to Montreal on July 1st and arriving by the 2nd, and leaving on Sunday, 8th. Will I bored staying in Montreal for 6 nights?

I am really interested in going to Oka Beach, which is outside of Montreal. I won't be bringing a car. What is the best way to get there from Montreal?

I am a young guy traveling solo so I will be staying in a Hostel near the Gay Village, are there any cheap eats I should check out in the area?

What other things should I do while in town? I really want to experience the gay nightlife as well as do outdoorsy things (beaches, parks, pools)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Gay Village
Gay Village
197 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

There is no way to get to Oka beach without a car.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

Technically, you can bring your bike on to the Deux-Montagnes train and then bike from the train station to Oka Park. It's long, especially for us old people, but I'm pretty sure I did this sometime in the first millenium :) https:/…train

There's also some construction going on, so make sure it's open on the day you go.

You can also get a taxi from the Two Mountains train station, which is easier and faster but less adventurous.

There's also this option, that I've never done : https://www.parkbus.ca/oka

There are also meetups etc where you might be able to get a ride.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

I biked it from Montreal a few years ago, there and back in one day. It was a little over 100 km for the round trip, and it was very tiring, but quite the adventure. If you bike it, I'd recommend staying overnight :-)

Other than that, you can also rent a car for a day or two. There are a large number of car rental places in town, since a large fraction of Montreal households don't own a car.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

Beware of the Deux Montagne train: it does not run during the week end!

Do not rely on this transportation.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

Montreal is well worth 6 days, there is so much things to do! Oka beach is really far without a car...here are my tips:

- Go to Piknik Electronik, huge partys on an Island near Montreal every sunday, lot of young people and really nice experience! There is a little beach there but I dont think you can actually go swimming...will have to look into that

- Old port is absolutely incredible, so beautiful! Walk Saint-Paul street and go to the big wheel!

- Gay village is fun, lot of bars/cafés and little restaurants. To be honest there are a lot of cheap eats around, don't even worry about it. Montreal is not an expensive city at all. Use Tripadvisor, look for Montreal and then Restaurants. There is an option you can click that is called "Economic", you'll have plenty of cheap restaurants!

- Sainte-Catherine street is really cool for shopping or just walking around. Mount-Royal is fun to climb (really easy) and the Belvedere gives you such a great view of the city!

- Sherbrooke street is pretty too and you can visit the campus of McGill University

- Saint-denis, old port and Crescent are some of the best areas to go out.

- You can go and visit the Oratoire St-Joseph in Cote-Des-Neiges, near the University of Montreal

- Mile-End is a nice and hip little place growing fast. Plenty of cafés and pubs

- Near the Laurier Metro, you have a lot going on. Montreal bagels are near, lot of restaurants, pretty place to walk and lot of breweries (Ciboire and Dieu du ciel)

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel St Paul
Hotel St Paul
1,387 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Gay Village
Gay Village
197 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,669 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
McGill University
McGill University
814 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph
Berrien County, MI
Mile-End
Mile-End
158 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

the list created by Jean-Francois C is absolutely amazing and I highly suggest you follow it. The only thing I would add is the Botanical Garden which is next to the Olympic Stadium with a tower that looks over par of the the city and other attractions.

Welcome and enjoy, Montreal is definitely an all inclusive city that is worth discovering

Mentioned in this post
Olympic Stadium
Olympic Stadium
346 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach

By the way if the reason you want to go to Oka Beach is because of the beach which is really out of the way without a car, there is a beach in Montreal on Parc Jean Drapeau parcjeandrapeau.com/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Parc Jean-Drapeau
Parc Jean-Drapeau
592 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Reply to: Montreal in Early July, Oka Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted