We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July

Hi,

I will be taking my husband away to Quebec and Montreal for his 40th birthday the end of July. We have never been to Canada before and are driving and staying 3-4 nights. I was hoping for some recommendations on:

1.Best area to book hotels in both cities & Nice Hotel recommendations (since it's his birthday I will spend a little more on our hotels)

2. What are the must see/do things in both cities?

3. Best Restaurants for foodies

4. Any extra things you might recommend to do and stop on the drive from NY to Quebec and Montreal.

Also, this is a kid free trip:) !!!

Thank you

Éxito en ventas
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,405 Reviews
from US$90.00*
Éxito en ventas
Montreal City Guided Sightseeing Tour
1,135 Reviews
from US$43.80*
Éxito en ventas
Montreal City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
592 Reviews
from US$43.10*
3 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,546 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July

3 or 4 nights makes a big difference when you want to visit both cities. It is 3 hrs of driving along a boring highway if you take highway 20 or 40 between the 2 cities. so you spend almost 2 half days getting back and forth.

With 3 night best to pick one; you really need min of 4 nights to even be able to see more than a look see if you want to see both.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July

Montreal-Quebec is a 2h30 drive, not THAT bad. 4 nights would be fine, 3 in Montreal, one in Quebec (but leave in the morning so you have some time to visit Quebec City.

Hotels:

- Montreal: The Old port and Sherbrooke have some of the prettiest hotels in Montreal. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of options. I recommend using Booking.com or Trivago.com to look for the best rates and the reviews are really helpful there. I know the Nelligan in the Old Port is amazing but it might be a little expensive! Same for the Omni Hotel on Sherbrooke.

- Quebec: You can use the same websites to book an hotel in Quebec City. The only recommandations I have are these: Be as close as you can or in the old Quebec (prettiest village I've seen, oldest city in North America!) and try to catch something with air conditioning (july can get hot here and old hotels in the old city are not always well ventilated).

Food:

- Montreal is a foodie destination. So. many. restaurants. Here are some of the best: Renoir, Europea, Chasse-galerie, Bouillon Bilk, Maggie Oakes and Verses (great romantic restaurant in the Hotel Nelligan, old port). There are also less expensive options like Robin Square, O'thym, Les Héritiers...

- Quebec has less restaurants but there are some really good ones! Le continental, Laurie-Raphael, Saint-Amour are all great! To grab a drink the Atelier Bar is great.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
724 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July

Montreal's Old Port is really special. The hotels are reasonable, the restaurants are good, the galleries are special and there are tons of activities.

Old Quebec is very special as well.

Between Montreal and Quebec, if you take Highway 20, there are antique stores you may want to stop at and to be quite honest, being a Montrealer myself, there is a long stretch where you will see the weirdest statues (bulls, cows, etc).

As for restaurants in Montreal, I would suggest any restaurant on St. Paul street in Old Montreal, Crepe Suzette is a favorite of mine, so is l'Usine du Spaghetti and although you have been to Canada before, if you have not tasted a Poutine, please to go Montreal Poutine on St. Paul Street.

For the hotel, if you are within walking distance of Place Ville Marie, you are in the righ area

As for most see, besides Old Montreal, I would suggest the Botanical Gardens which are across the street from the Olympic Stadium, both must sees as well as the mountain (Mont Royal).

Enjoy, Montreal is a really nice city to explore

Reply to: 3-4 days in Montreal and Quebec end of July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted