We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Tahoe Resort

Seattle
Level Contributor
272 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Tahoe Resort

Hello,

We are a family of 3 (11 yr old daughter) visiting for the first time.

We are there 7/4-6 before meeting up with another family and renting a house for 3 nights.

We are booked at Lake Tahoe Resort and some of the reviews are quite negative. There are several AirBnb/Vrbo in the same price range $300 a night. Is this something we should consider? Are there any other resorts to consider?

We plan on lounging by the pool or beach, maybe kayaking etc.

Thank you!

The Landing Resort & Spa
The Landing Resort & Spa
#5 of 66 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 hotels in Olympic Valley
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
#8 of 66 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
11 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,459 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

Have you priced out the Marriott Timber Lodge and Grand Residences?

I'd also look at Buckingham Rentals and McKinney Real Estate.

https:/…

stayintahoe.com/lake_tahoe_rentals/vacation_…

Seattle
Level Contributor
272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

Marriott is sold out. I will check the other you mentioned. The other place I’m considering is Resort at Squaw Creek.

Thank you!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

You are lucky to have reservations over the 4th of July. I too, have heard the Lake Tahoe Resort is not as good as it once was, but all the hotels seem to be charging extra now for things that were once free.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

Squaw Creek is not on the lake, but you probably already know that. It has a beautiful pool as well as access to hiking trails, the village, High Camp and the Truckee River bike path. I would think a day by the pool there would be wonderfully relaxing. You might also want to check out the Ritz Carlton at Northstar, also about 10 minutes from the lake. They have a private beach club on the lake with a shuttle. The Hyatt at Incline would be ideal, but its probably sold out for the 4th.

The problem with an airbnb/ VRBO over the 4th is the traffic and parking trying to get to the lake. Personally I would rather be at a nice resort like Squaw Creek or the Ritz and stay put :)

LA
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

Second rum r's comments

The worst thing about July 4th is the gridlock traffic that starts about noon and ends after about 11 pm

The Lake Tahoe Resort is going to put you in the center of gridlock there.

Squaw Valley and Northstar will be packed, too, but if you don't have to drive anywhere, it will be a much better experience,

Seattle
Level Contributor
272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

This is all very helpful! Thank you.

There are two options the Squaw Valley:

Village at Squaw Valley

Resort at Squaw Creek

We have no problems just hanging at the resort as we will have the next few days to be at the lake. Which one is better?

Again, thank you so very much. Ritz is too pricey and Hyatt is sold out.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 22:11
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,459 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

>>>Which one is better?<<<

As with all such questions, a personal choice. I think the Resort at Squaw Creek is clearly the better hotel and would be my choice, but it is off by itself (which I like). You might like being in the Village so you can walk around.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

The Resort at Squaw Creek is wonderful with a great pool/waterslide. Easy access to the village. Also, close enough for a bike ride to Tahoe City using the paved bike path along the Truckee River. Mostly flat ride and a way to avoid traffic during this very busy holiday.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

I would expect traffic to be heavy during the whole period, as weekends are very busy during this time. Good idea from CJ to go by bike to Tahoe City (fireworks on the 4th!). There is one steep hill at the raft parking lot near River Ranch where you may have to walk it on the Truckee, plus maybe some sections at the Squaw end. A couple of places in Tahoe City have electric bikes for rent, may be helpful if you are not a regular biker.

OE

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Tahoe Resort

If you stay at Stateline at the LT Resort, at least you could walk to the lake and watch the Fireworks with your daughter, and not move your car. You can walk to Raley's Market too for snacks, plus lots of other places to walk to for meals or shopping.

We stay at the Hyatt the week of the 4th and don't worry about driving as we have a private beach, pools, BBQ and restaurants. We have our horseback riding, boat rentals made in advance and some special restaurants, so no fighting crowds, or waiting in lines.

Reply to: Lake Tahoe Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted