We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

The wife and I will land into CPT intl airport on Jan 31st at approx 10:40pm and the plan is to rent a car and drive to Franschhoek. I know the situation isnt ideal, but thats how its worked out.

Since this is our first time in SA, we seek advice on the best and more importantly the safest route to do this. How long will the journey be?

Many thanks!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

We had no problems whatsoever driving at night from CPT airport to Franschhoek. The route is fairly straight-forward and we had the GPS guide us along the way.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hello Pune traveler,

Thanks for letting me know that you had a safe journey to Franschhoek from the Airport late at night. It helps me in finalizing my plans my SA trip.

While there is an Airport Hotel (I think its called City Center) it is firstly not attached - meaning you can't wheel your luggage to it. So catching a shuttle etc seems too cumbersome and secondly it looks a bit seedy!

I believe I will go with your advice and Dave Patterson's and use the Hotel Car Service to L'Ermitage. Thanks to all of you.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hello Dave, I knew there was a reason you looked so familiar. I have been in Cleveland for 20 years and Channel 3 and 5 are still my favorite for local news!!

Thanks for you input. It helps a lot.

Also I will check out you website for African Safari.

Take care

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hi TG

Well I was going to respond to your first post this morning about paranoia concerning driving along the N2. I have driven this route day and night many dozens of times over recent years. I worked for some time at Stellenbosch University and, like many University Researchers, worked until all hours of the night. I frequently drove back to Cape Town in the early hours – many times along the N2 and, sometimes, along the “much more dangerous” R310 – which is not a motorway but goes around (not through) Khayelitsha the biggest township in the Cape! I have NEVER seen any problems or felt this was any more “dangerous” than any other main route I have driven in the UK, California, Germany or the many other parts of the world I have lived and worked.

Then I saw your post about this morning's article. I also saw this article in the Cape Times. Did you actually read it – or just the headline??!! It is an absolutely prime example of bad journalism, as nowadays sadly written all over the world. People slant headlines and newspaper articles to “prove” a point. And then they are quoted and requoted, as you say to “prove” even different entrenched views.

Here is the article for all to read : iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/car…

Let me go through the huge holes in this very poor article.

It is headlined – “Carte Blanche presenter attacked on N2”. Read the article. Nothing of the sort!! Bongani Bingwa, the “celebrity” presenter of South Africa’s main “Investigative” TV series, was not attacked “on the N2” – the main motorway between the Airport and Franschhoek/Stellenbosch. The incident occurred when he had driven some distance off the road into a nearby residential, township area to check where he was. It doesn't say how far he was from the N2, but it seems some distance. He then “got lost”, stopped and having driven on “he struck” a pedestrian in his car!!

At this point the story gets somewhat confused (sounds like the Anni Dewani case!!!). He was “attacked by two other guys” who stole his cellphone. They were armed with a pole but somehow he easily fought them off, even though they “hit him with the pole”. Then “he managed to get his cellphone back” – hey what a TV hero!

Now the story gets stranger! Thge details are relayed by a “colleague”, not by Bingwa, as “attempts to reach him failed”!! According to this colleague he drove to a “city clinic” – NOT a police station! There it was found the blood on him “was not his” - presumably the blood from the pedestrian that his car had struck? He then apparently did not report either event to the police and simply “flew back to Johannesburg”!!

Now, not reporting the attempted theft of a cellphone to the police, is totally up to Bingwa. Not reporting a car accident involving significant injury to a pedestrian (whose blood?) would be a major criminal offence!

So, rather than “proof of your point that the N2 is dangerous” - how about this. TV celebrity, with lots to loose, drives off the N2. Gets lost in a residential area and in his confusion drives into, and injures, a passing pedestrian. Drives off and doesn’t report this to the police.. However committing such a criminal offence would be a problem for a “TV celebrity”. However being “attacked” might sound much better! Having blood on him he calls into a “city clinic” and tells them he has been attacked and injured. Unfortunately the clinic found the blood was not his (obviously not much scientific knowledge)! At this point he reports nothing to the police but hotfoots it back to Johannesburg??!!

As I say I drive this road frequently day and night. The latest figures show that over 120,000 drivers also do - EVERY DAY. That’s One Hundred and Twenty Thousand per day - or Forty Million Journeys a Year!!!. It is about the busiest road in Cape Town. A few of the drivers are paranoid. The huge majority of them are not! On the N2, as on any main road in the world, the chances of being involved in a straightforward traffic accident (caused by you or someone else) are, unfortunately, dozens of times greater than being involved in any sort of criminal incident. If you are a poor driver don’t make the journey! Maybe late at night, as globetrotter suggests, get someone else to drive you.

I am not posting this to simply argue against you. Just to show that what some people think of as “proof” may be otherwise. I was trained at a major UK University in Mathematics and Statistics – the secondary subject to my Chemistry Degree. I hate to see these sciences abused!

Just some thoughts! – I will be very interested to see how the Bongani Bingwa case develops!

Edited: 12 February 2011, 00:25
Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Wow that's quite an analysis and I am so glad you took the time to explain it to those of us who won't know better, otherwise.

I am starting to feel a lot less anxious about the whole SA trip, especially the drive from the Airport.

I cannot thank you enough. Once I return back home I will share my experience with all of you. Take care

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Thanks, VDC for your investigative report.

My opinion remains and that is if you are familiar with the area and the pitfalls, that is fine. But if you are a visitor, and arrive at night tired and need maps to find your destination (or GPS), then it would be wise to arrange a transfer.

Thanks Goodness we all have different views and opinions, otherwise these forums would be a bore.

Please keep us up-to-date with end story and watch Sunday's Carte Blanche!

P.S. Another relative of mine had an accident on the N2 (near Langa) and within minutes everything in his vehicle was stolen.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

I believe the route my GPS made me take from CPT airport to Franschhoek was via the N1, turning right onto a smaller highway (was it 45?) sometime before Paarl. But I could be mistaken as I blindly followed the GPS after having the GPS mapped route validated by the car rental guy at Budget.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

Hello,

Just returned from South Africa. We had a wonderful time. The dirve from CPT to Franschoek was perfect even at 1.00 am. The ride was provided by "Citi Hoppers" from CPT to L'Ermitage.

If you are not used to driving on the left, I would not attempt it.on a rental. But there are several car services including City Hoppers that provide pick-up and drop-off services. We used them several times while in the Cape Town and they were very good.

19. Re: Driving from CPT intl airport to Franschhoek late at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 11:16