We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town in July

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town in July

My family will be visiting Durban in the first two weeks of July and will be in SA for 16 days. We would like to make a trip to Cape Town but have been told that the weather is not too good at that time of year due to blustery winds... This will probably be our only trip to SA and we would not like to miss Cape Town. Any suggestions whether we shoud just skip it and stay in Durban for the entire 16 days? Appreciate your feedback... Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town in July

This is not a sarcastic remark - I need to make that clear.

If you want to see why people are so enthusiastic about Cape Town, don't try to outguess the weather. Go. See for yourself. On the worst July day in Cape Town, you can still understand what make it such a special place. I promise.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
862 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town in July

Hi there I went to Cape Town in July as that was the only month I could make it. I was around for a week and it didnt rain once despite the fact its the rainy season. CPT is one of the most stunning cities in the world and you shouldnt be put off by the thought of rain, It has loads to offer. Robben Island, V&a Waerfront., Boulders beach with all the penguins and of course Cable mountain. Also suggest wine tour if there arent very young family members. Another suggestion is to spend a day or two in Oustshoorn which is a few hours from CPT. It has loads of attractions including the Canga caves, a cahnce to not only visit an ostrich farm but also a chance to ride one. Lastly i went to a cheetah center where you can actually go inside the compound and pet the cheetahs. Weather can be unpredictable and I wouldnt miss CPT just because of the weather. Its a beautiful city.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town Intl Airport
Cape Town Intl Airport
Robben Island
Robben Island
7,037 Reviews
Boulders Beach
Boulders Beach
5,740 Reviews
Simon's Town, South Africa
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town in July

Thank you Angie for your thoughts.... It is most helpful!! Will definitely visit....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town in July

Just a note to Angie- Oudtshoorn is a good 5 hour drive from Cape Town, so not a destination for those who don't have at least 2-3 days to spare.

Mentioned in this post
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Cape Town
Cape Town
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town in July

If July 2011 is anything like last year, then you won’t have any problem at all as we had a very dry winter and on many days it was into the low 20s (70sF)

It may well be a bit chilly at night and in the morning (great for brisk walks along the promenade) but on the whole it’s not too bad at all. If you do end up with 7 days of cold rainy weather - you will be very unlucky.

Equally, there is nothing more stunning to witness than a howling Northwester blasting Cape Point.

Definitely do not let the weather put you off. Just pack an umbrella and a couple of woollies - just in case!

Edited: 02 April 2011, 18:37
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town in July

Queenj - I would definitely NOT stay in Durban for that full period, absoloutely not,. Cape Town is the place to visit - there is SO MUCH to do and see here. July is winter, its not the windy season as such. The S. Easter actually blows in summer, it is however the rainy season but having said that it might not rain at all. If you were to say should I spend the full time in Cape Town and not Durban I would answer yes, however you are going to Durban and the weather is normally good there that time of the year so DEFINITELY include Cape Town - you wont be sorry - you will be sorry if you dont!

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Worcester, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town in July

Three days in Cape Town will only whet your appetite for more, there is so much to see, the city, the winelands, Hermanus, the first of the Southern right whales start making an appearance, you can see the "big 5" in Worcester an hours drive from Cape town (I use the term Big 5 loosely here mind), you'll have the time of your life and you'll be back I promise, but then it'll have to be in the summer! Do some research and do only the things you're really interested in. The food here is the best in the world, the wine is divine, South Africans are friendly, helpful, and really very hospitable. Enjoy every minute the weather's nothing to worry about.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
8. Re: Cape Town in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:17