We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Dilemma!!

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Big Dilemma!!

I’m in a dilemma in that I’m seeing my son (6 years old) in Johannesburg after 1 year and want to take him away for a few days so its either Cape Town or Mauritius, since I have been to neither can someone shed any light on which place would be better for father and son bonding?

You help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

V

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Hi,

As you are asking this question on the Cape Town forum, I think most replies will be in favour of the Mother City!

From what I have heard, Mauritius is a lovely place if you intend to swim, snorkel, fish and sunbathe.

Cape Town is city with a variety of activities and places to see; you can do all of the above (depending on season) and visit Table Mountain (wonderful experience, especially for a 6 year old), do a Sunset Cruise, walk on beaches,

visit the Waterfront and see the harbour with lots of interesting places, spend a few hours at the Aquarium (a must do for a child) and so on.

Then, I would highly recommend a visit to a Game Reserve where your six year old (and you) will wonder at the awesome beauty of nature and animals in their natural habitat.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Don't forget the penguins at Simons Town & close by is Scratch Patch !

I too recommend CT over Mauritius so much more for you & your son to do. I have been to M from CT via Jo'b & found you loose a days travel either side. A very short flight to CT from Jo'b will give you more precious time enjoying things together.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Mauritius is a long way away - its an international flight. THings are very expensive there. If you go to Club Med there is a lot for children to do but quite honestly I think a 6 yr old will love Cape Town. What with the penguins at Boulders Beach, the babboons at Cape Point, the World of Birds in Hout Bay, the Aquarium at the waterfront, the new Urban Park in Mouille Point/Green Point, Aquila Game Park which is apparantely great for children there will be more than enough to keep him busy and a lot more to see than Mauritius. Mauritius is somewhere for you to chill on a beach or hotel pool but in Cape Town you have that as well as all I have mentioned above AND lots more so Cape Town for sure - and cheaper too. Only a 2 hr flight from Johannesburg.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Big Dilemma!!

What a great trip for you. I just took my kids, we stayed at SunStay, which has a nice beach and is self-catering. It is not a crowded beach, but there are other kids. There is a great driver, his name is Sha 073 276 9103 and he really knows Cape Town is great with kids and charges flat rate fees ("metering" was unpredictable.) He has kids and we actually asked him to bring his daughter to see the penguins, my kids really enjoyed her...I believe he also has a six year old son...just in case you want to make a drive easier. The best thing about SunStay is it is attached to Lagoon Beach Hotel, but is a self-catering apartment. So in the morning you can grab your coffee mug, a yogurt out of the fridge and go build a sand castle without crowds or transportation. HAVE fun. I think Penguins and taking the tram up to the top of table mountain, table mountain on the tram, the ferris wheel/seals at the waterfront will be memorable for years and years to come. If your son is ANYTHING like mine, take a walk to where they are repairing the cargo ships, etc by the waterfront...all that machinery just made my son happy. We travel a lot and Cape Town was the best for my younger and older kids.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful, I have decided to split my time between Joburg and Cape town as it will give me more quality time to spend with my son.

I was thinking of booking the Taj in cape town, is that that any good it has some good reviews?

again thanks for all your help will write a review of the hotels when I come back.

regards

V

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
158 reviews
6. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Havnt been into the TAJ but honestly there are better positions - its in the middle of town. Why dont you look at something in the Waterfront or De Waterkant or Bantry Bay or Camps Bay. Better for a 6 yr old I feel.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Big Dilemma!!

Hi,

Agree with Divacape. Waterfront would be ideal for a six year old.

Look at the new Queen Victoria Hotel - they are running excellent specials.

8. Re: Big Dilemma!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:16