We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meganisi Trip Report

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
167 reviews
Meganisi Trip Report

This is our first DIY trip to Greece and as chief organiser I really want it to go smoothly as chief worrier might grump if things don’t go to plan !!

Accomodation for all parts of the trip is sorted as is transfers, bus and ferry times etc. Only thing not sorted is getting to our accommodation from the ferry (only one taxi and I know he will either not be on the island or will be picking up someone else from the ferry – I do have my plans and ideas !!)

Trip from home – airport – Preveza all went ok with no problems.

Long wait to get through passport control – can see worrier getting twitchy as he thinks our taxi driver will leave us behind ? Once he clears passport control and finds our case he’s off faster than Red Rum and quickly finds taxi driver with my name on a board and off they trot leaving me bringing up the rear !

We have a wait in Nidri for the next ferry and soak up the sunshine – at last we feel like we are home again!

Ferry comes with the usual slickness and ease that only exists in Greece and and delivers us to beautiful Meganisi and Spilia port.

This is where the only not organised bit needs to come into play so as we near the port my eyes are on stalks just in case the accommodation owner appears to collect us (no),

the taxi is free (no) – last resort the bus (mini bus) is there (yes!!!)

This is my last and only realistic option. I suggest that we need to be quick to jump on as not many tourists use the bus and once he has all the locals he thinks he is collecting the bus driver will be off. Once again, chief worrier springs into action and saves the day, jumping on with his case just before the door is about to be shut! Lots of grins and nods from the locals on the bus – we’ll probably be the topic around the dinner table tonight !

The driver looks a bit stunned as to where we want dropping off but once he is shown a photo map of where we want to be in Katomeri, he nods and off we go. Thank you Googlemaps !!

We have a lovely island tour to get to our destination, going through the three villages on Meganisi – Spartochori, Vathy and Katomeri. As we go through the small lanes in Spartochori I am no longer surprised by the appearance of the battered bus as we scrape along walls and the driver pulls his wing mirrors in. There is now a new 2018 bus that is pristine – probably not for long though !

We get off and start our walk down the fairly steep hill to our accommodation at the bottom of the lane. There is nothing but the studios down there and of course the lovely Elia Bay. And also the thousands of huge grass hopper/cricket type creatures that seem to have descended on the road. Ten minutes down the track we hear a car coming down so push ourselves and case into the undergrowth to let it pass and it’s non other than our host. He stops, has a look of faint recognition, shock and surprise rolled into one and says “You come today?”

Now either we were Scotch Mist or we were there in the flesh !!

“No problem!” he says and shoots off down the road leaving us stunned !

As it turns out it wasn’t a problem and the room was ready and waiting for us even though we were ‘early’!

We had glorious views over Elia Bay and there is no noise down there at all apart from the odd fishing boat or yacht. We soon sorted ourselves out and after explaining to our landlord there was no water settled into our holiday. Ouzo o’clock soon came around (thanks to a quick shop in Nidri) and then after showers off we went in search of our first meal. The chief worrier no longer seemed worried – happy days !

Back up the hill, pretty hard going at first in the heat and the grasshoppers didn’t help ! Into and through Katomeri and down to Vathi approx 30 mins walk.

Having been before we knew where we were heading for our pre-dinner drinkies and arrived to find that, thankfully, the kafenion hadn’t changed a bit. The waiter came over and after sidling over to us grunted. He took our order and came back with two glasses of ouzo, two glasses of water, a bowl of ice and a plate of delicious mezze, all banged down on the table as it is only done in Greece. He is not known for much chatter with tourists and as the two weeks went by he did start to respond to us and our attempts at simple Greek phrases and replied to our “kali-spiras and efharistos”. By the end of the first week he didn’t even come to take our order but it just appeared as if by magic !!

We had lots of lovely meals around Meganisi and found that the prices didn’t seem to have gone up much and a bonus – no individual olive oil bottles !

Each morning we went for a walk, climbing up the hill into Katomeri. We passed the first village house on our way each day and the old man who lives there sang every morning! Everyone we passed was really friendly so lots of “kalimera” and “yassas” to be had. We were even offered coffee one morning but were in a rush for the ferry.

Katomeri is the main village on the island and the old ladies are all dressed in very traditional style black outfits with headscarves. There is a number of these ladies that spin and weave the old fashioned way and they are more than happy to show visitors. You can see the looms etc just inside doorways and in gardens.

We really enjoy walking around Meganisi and over the 14 days walked around 135 miles. A lot of places are linked by small tracks and roads but the main roads are extremely quiet so this makes for easy walking (except for dodging the grasshoppers). One of our favourite walks links the three villages and also Spilia port. There are great views in every direction. We also walked to Ag.Ioannis and sat at a taverna with our frappe overlooking the sea towards Lefkas. Magnificent views. Compared to our little bay it was like watching a sea motorway there was that much marine activity. Here we also saw dolphins. On one of our walks we went down a road that had a sheep hut and the usual fences etc but also a Cuban flag and one of Fidel Castro! Further on and we found one of the most spectatcular views over towards the west coast and the ‘leg’ of Meganisi. Unfortunately this was also where the landfill waste site is.

There is a lot of wild life on Meganisi as well as crickets. We saw a huge caterpillar that must have been around four cm long, loads of birds and also foxes. Most nights we were woken up by the horrible yowling of a fox or two nearby. We walked up the road one evening to see one just in front of us catching and eating the grasshoppers on the road. It stopped when it saw us but just sat at the side of the road to wait whilst we passed. Another sloped around us as we sat on the beach one evening! There are also deer on the island but we didn’t see this.

Meganisi has seen lots of building work over the years of high class and very expensive villas. I hope that this doesn’t take over the whole island and change it from what it is today, a little island with a big heart.

Sadly we left Meganisi and spent our last evening in Preveza. Got to the hotel after a very strange bus journey (the worrier nearly came back!).

The hotel wasn’t expecting us and hadn’t got our booking!! I had though and after a lot of patience from the receptionist we were shown to our room for the night. It was very noisy and busy in Preveza after our fortnight of solitude but it was a lovely city and we enjoyed exploring it.

Sorry if this trip report is a bit long but I enjoyed revisiting my thoughts on our lovely holiday – especially as we found we had been burgled on our return home....

15 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
571 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Good report KatomeriKaf, we've spent 2 hours on the island many years ago and I've always wondered whether we could stay there for a week/few days. We both have itchy feet(perhaps that's just me) and need to be exploring, swimming and walking, therefore wasn't sure if Meganisi could fill that role.....perhaps I need to research more because I do recall it being a beautiful island.......thanks for posting.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
2. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Great report! We visited on a day trip from Kefalonia many years ago and eventually arranged to spend a week there in 2011 - only to be scuppered by a medical intervention which meant we couldn’t travel:-(( Meganissi has fallen off our radar of late but this report has definetly put it back on the list!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
167 reviews
3. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Thanks both - it really suits us down to the ground and we haven't been for a few years since Thomas Cook stopped going to the studios we liked and other companies charging enormous amounts for apartments and villa holidays way out of our league!

We don't tend to spend too much time on the beach although it is literally on our doorstep at Elia Bay. We managed a few hours in the late afternoon !! We even managed to swim every day !

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
167 reviews
4. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Thanks both - it really suits us down to the ground and we haven't been for a few years since Thomas Cook stopped going to the studios we liked and other companies charging enormous amounts for apartments and villa holidays way out of our league!

We don't tend to spend too much time on the beach although it is literally on our doorstep at Elia Bay. We managed a few hours in the late afternoon !! We even managed to swim every day !

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:40
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
309 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Thanks for posting your very interesting TR. Sorry about your burglary.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
234 reviews
6. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Thanks for posting - Meganisi sounds just lovely. You certainly covered a few miles!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
167 reviews
7. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Just an update to any nature lovers the caterpillar was about 4 inches long not cm and it is probably the giant peacock moth caterpillar - the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen !!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Thank you for the post - made me feel nostalgic. You described the son at the kafenion in Vathi down to a T! Made me feel as if I was there. Unfortunately we are not going this year as the flights were so expensive - we flew with Monarch last year. We waited to see if the Thos Cook or the TUI flights came down in price, but they didn't, and the Easyjet flight would have meant staying over on Lefkada or getting a water taxi at about 10 pm. Did you go on the Easyjet flight from Manchester? How were Effie & Hector at the Rose Garden? We stay in their apartments at the back of the village, and we feel guilty about not going this year.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
167 reviews
9. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

Hector seemed as laid back as ever but equally Effie seemed as stressed as ever - even though it was pretty quiet when we went !

We had already booked our flights with Monarch when they collapsed but very quickly re-booked with Thomas Cook and got flights for around £600 inc baggage, probably could have made it cheaper but were in a bit of a panic.

Just love the place !

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Meganisi Trip Report

There is a reason why Hector is laid back and Effie is so stressed! We almost booked with Monarch & then left it for a week - then they went bust. Last year we got flights for about £300 for the 2 of us, so we baulked at paying twice as much. I suppose we shall just have to bite the bullet next year.

Reply to: Meganisi Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Meganisi