We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps

Hampshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wasps

We're planning to come to Abel Tasman sometime between late January and mid April next year. I'm embarrassed to say I'm a bit phobic about wasps. Are they a real problem? Would any time during that period be better to avoid them? Or better for other reasons? Thanks for any advice on this.

Mentioned in this post
Abel Tasman National Park
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
11 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,503 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wasps

I've spent some time in Abel Tasman and never actually seen/noticed any wasps - but others are plagued by them.

I've been there all four seasons so can't comment on the chances of you meeting any.

Good luck :)

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,416 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wasps

There have been massive baiting programmes throughout the beech forests of the NW corner of the SI. Hopefully this will have an effect on wasp populations by next summer.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wasps

Wasps use to be a problem in nelson lakes national park. However, there have been massive wasp erradication programmes in Nelson Tasman area including the national parks. I spend considrable time in the area and have never found wasps to be a pfoblem, but they are being wiped out for protection to native species

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/101…

Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Oz
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wasps

Hi,

NZ is indeed a multi cultural nation but like most countries originally settled by Polynesians (Maori) and subsequently invaded by Europeans, in this case the English, there are still lots of WASPS to be found.

Not a concern at all and most are friendly, aside from on the Rugby pitch. However that strange round ball game has yet to gain much traction, other than at the junior level, thank heavens.

Cheers,

Edited: 11 June 2018, 07:06
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wasps

You might have to translate "WASPS" Oz, those from the Northern Hemisphere don't speak the same language that we do in the antipodes :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wasps

A whole feature on wasp wipeout in Nelson Tasman region. https:/…wasp-wipeout

Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wasps

Others comments are good, & if you are still worried, make sure you stick to the track. Less chance of standing on a nest.

Hampshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: wasps

I'm coming from the WASP's nest so it's the small furry ones I'm more worried about!

Hampshire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: wasps

Thanks for your answers everyone. It looks like I'm making a bigger deal of the wasp issue than it actually is. What about other things? I know late Jan/early Feb will be a lot busier than early April (though I'm guessing 'busy' by NZ standards is pretty empty by UK ones) but would April be too chilly to kayak and swim? Also, do your clocks change at the beginning or end of April? Sorry for all the questions!

California
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wasps

Daylight Savings Time ends April 7 (2am), 2019.

Reply to: wasps
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nelson-Tasman Region