We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathroom facilities!

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bathroom facilities!

It will be first time visiting Greece for my missus and she is a little concerned about the "toilet situation" i.e. not flushing paper etc. Has anyone experienced difficulties with this? I've told her not to worry but....you know!!!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bathroom facilities!

Have been to other Greek islands, but not Skiathos. We go there next May.

Never had any diffulculties with their toilets. It's just getting use to putting the paper in the bin instead of the loo, which does take a lot of getting used to.

Tell her not to worry!

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bathroom facilities!

It does take a while to get used to the bin thing but I would recommend scented nappy sacks for putting smelly loo roll in, always take some with me!

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bathroom facilities!

Thanks for that, nappy sacks already packed in case!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bathroom facilities!

I thought we’d said all there is to say on this topic! (Look back for a thread called ‘’Toilets’’ first posted on July 4th.There are 51 posts there which should help to put your mind at rest.) I actually think it could be seen as patronising to take nappy sacks – the Greeks don’t use them – why should they? – The bins are lined in plastic, they have lids and they’re emptied every day. But I hadn’t thought of this before – some of you have had to change BABIES, and then dispose of the debris. So what’s the problem with a little bit of loo paper?

northumberland
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bathroom facilities!

patronising? to whom? i really dont think that is the case. we have always taken nappy sacks as, by the time evening comes around, your bin can become a bit 'whiffy'. i also take babywipes with me, i find them cooling in the greek temperatures. tell your wife not to worry at all xxx karen

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bathroom facilities!

I have never known anyone to complain about us using nappy sacks, dirty toilet paper in a bin in that heat isn't pleasant. A lot of places don't have lids on the bins either so it makes sense to me! The whole putting your loo roll in the bin thing is alien to us Brits.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
11,242 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bathroom facilities!

Nikoletta is a Brit! (So am I)

I just want to allay anyone's fears or sqeamishness, it really isn't a problem after the first 24 hrs of remembering to do it!

About the nappy sacks, I know some do bring them & use them, I never have, don't see the point, but if you do use them please make sure they are biodegradable otherwise they do a lot of harm once disposed of.

Bins in your accommodation should be lined with a removable plastic bag & have a lid, I think some people have visions of a pile of used paper sitting looking at you in the bathroom! That may very occasionally be the case in a taverna or bar, but you don't have to shower or sleep there :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bathroom facilities!

Terrific, Yiassas! You’ve made all the points I wanted to, but much more reasonably, so I don’t have to! Just to explain, though – my objection to the ‘nappy sacks’ wasn’t that I thought people would complain – why would they? But that unfortunately I know that on the whole, Greeks aren’t so aware of the need for recycling, (although we have big recycling containers on every street corner in Athens) and there is already too much plastic in evidence. ‘’A lot of places don't have lids on the bins either so it makes sense to me!’’ Well, Aunty Diddy, that WAS true when I first came to Greece, over thirty years ago, but I don’t think I’ve seen a bin without a lid, or a plastic lining for YEARS. Maybe you could point this out to the proprietors of your holiday accommodation! The paper that goes into the bin doesn't usually smell, either - but you could always ask for some air freshener for your bathroom!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bathroom facilities!

Who rattled your cage???? soz, never thought to look back at old posts, that's me told then!!!!!

10. Re: Bathroom facilities!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 July 2011, 02:42
Get answers to your questions about Agia Paraskevi