We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Tucson to White Sands

Frenchtown
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Tucson to White Sands

I will be taking my first solo rode trip soon, and part of it will cover the drive from Tucson to White Sands. Can anyone tell me whether the area is desolate, and what I can expect? Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
4 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Tucson to White Sands

Well, it's not the most scenic drive, but as it is Interstate all the way to Las Cruces, and a 4 lane to White Sands, it can go quickly. The Organ Mountains east of Las Cruces, are quite interesting; they look unreal to me.

You don't have much on I-10 in Arizona, except for a few towns fairly far apart. In New Mexico, you have only Lordsburg, a very small town, and Deming, which is a bit bigger.

Make sure you fill up when your tank is down to half full.

There is quite a bit of traffic on I-10, so if something happens, you won't be out in the desert with no help. Plenty of rest areas along the route.

Good places to eat in Deming and Las Cruces, if you need charging up.

Mentioned in this post
Las Cruces
Las Cruces
New Mexico
Arizona
Arizona
United States
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Tucson to White Sands

If you are traveling soon, be weather aware. If wind is blowing, and dust is swirling, stop in a town. Don’t get caught out in the horrific spring winds, visibility can go to zero very fast. Usually is an easy drive.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Tucson to White Sands

Good advice so far. It's wide, mostly boring, easy driving. Right on the interstate probably the most interesting diversion is Texas Canyon between Benson and Willcox in Arizona. It's a rest stop along the interstate around mile marker 320. All of a sudden there are all these huge granite boulders. Worthwhile stopping.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Frenchtown
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Tucson to White Sands

Thanks to everyone who replied so quickly. I will look for the huge granite boulders at Texas Canyon and the Organ Mountains. About two years ago my daughters and I were caught in a severe sand storm in Monument Valley, and ended up staying an extra night rather than driving in it, so I appreciate the information about the wind. My trip is in three weeks. Have a beautiful day!

Edited: 08 April 2018, 23:25
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Reply to: Driving from Tucson to White Sands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about White Sands