We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

We are hoping to get our family from NY, Boston and Pittsburgh together over the Columbus Day weekend this year. We have successfully rented a house or condo in the past in other places, but definitely want an indoor pool this time to keep the kids (4,7 and 8) happy, especially in case of rain.

It appears the big resorts are either full or way too expensive for our budgets. I am thinking of the Baymont Inn and Suites in Bartonsville. Has anyone stayed there? Is it a good location for the area activities? My daughter thinks the Delaware Water Gap area may be better, but I cannot find suitable lodging there. We all like moderate hiking, and the usual kids stuff- miniature golf, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Bartonsville
Bartonsville
Pocono Mountains Region, PA
Delaware Water Gap
Delaware Water Gap
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

It is a good location though pretty commercial and busy. Delaware Water Gap is only about 15 minutes away and Bushkill Falls is about 30 minutes away.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware Water Gap
Delaware Water Gap
Bushkill Falls
Bushkill Falls
1,514 Reviews
Bushkill, PA
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

Thanks. If the weather cooperates we'll be out all day-Hickory Run SP looks great and is about 30 min away also,so the commercial area for the motel will be ok for dinner and sleeping. I did make a reservation for us all at the Hampton Inn in Bartonsville, but I'm open for ideas for another location.

Mentioned in this post
Bartonsville
Bartonsville
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

Be sure to go to the boulder field at Hickory Run for an unusual and great experience.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

I stayed in Stroudsburg at the Hampton Inn on Commerce Dr and it was really nice. If you're going to stay at a hotel I would consider that one as it is newer, has an indoor pool, has breakfast, and is conveniently located to restaurants and shopping as well.

Mentioned in this post
Stroudsburg
Stroudsburg
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

Unfortunately the Stroudsburg Hampton Inn is booked for that weekend. I think the Bartonsville one is new also.

Yes, the Boulder Fields look amazing, we definitely plan to go there!

Mentioned in this post
Stroudsburg
Stroudsburg
Bartonsville
Bartonsville
6. Re: Best region for Columbus Day family gathering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2017, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Pocono Mountains Region