We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffins

Milverton, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Puffins
Save

Hello

will be on the island in two weeks. I am wondering if the Puffins have arrived in Elliston? where is the best viewing spot and details to get to the spots that are best for viewing.

Can't wait to be back in Newfoundland again!!

5 replies to this topic
Paradise, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
7,597 posts
130 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Puffins
Save

Welcome back!

I assume puffins are in Elliston, as they have been seen on Cape Bonavista (look behind the lighthouse, if they are there, they’ll be easy to spot).

Where will you be coming from enroute to Elliston? From Bonavista, take the road clearly marked off Confederation Drive, I think it’s Coster Street East but not sure. Once on that road, take a right turn at Crewes Garage, but it’s route 238 on a map for Elliston (cant remember if the road is clearly numbered). Once in Elliston, follow along just past the Sealers Interpretation Centre and turn left. Take the road to Maberley and Sandy Cove. The puffin site will be past Sandy Cove on the right, and there is a sign. Just stay on the main road. It might sound complicated but it’s fairly easy. Elliston is quite a small place, and there is only one road to Maberley.

Edited: 4 years ago
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Puffins
Save

How many places are there to see puffins in Elliston? One map I am looking at shows two sites, Puffin Viewing Site north of Maberly Road and also a site listed as Puffin Colony at the end of Cape Shore Road, past John Cabot Park. Would you recommend one over the over for photos?

Thanks!

Paradise, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
7,597 posts
130 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: Puffins
Save

Past John Cabot Park is not Elliston, it is Cape Bonavista, the reason for the name Cape Shore Road. The puffins nest on the rocky island right behind the lighthouse. The one before you get to Maberly is Elliston. The Elliston site is a bigger puffin colony.

Edited: 4 years ago
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
38 posts
3,564 reviews
770 helpful votes
4. Re: Puffins
Save

The puffins are there. I saw them about 10 days ago. There's a short trail off the main road that you follow, and you can see them once you get over the 'hill'. There were hundreds of them. There are road signs pointing to the parking lot near the trail, but you can ask the guy who owns the gift shop at the small harbor in Elliston, and he'll tell you how to get there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
59 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Puffins
Save

The puffins are there -- saw them a few days ago in a gale .. Hard to stand long enough to photograph them. Hope you get perfect weather and great views!

Reply to: Puffins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elliston
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.