We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland 4 days and rain

Level Contributor
43 posts
Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

We are in Auckland end of Nov to first weekend of Dec for 4 full days other than traveling days.

I checked the weather and it’s raining all those days.

We are staying at Hilton Auckland. We have 2 kids under 10.

Would you suggest to rent a car ? We are open to explore the city by seeing nature and beaches.

Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

I was in Auckland for 4 days last week. When I arrived the forecast was for rain most days. There was a shower the first morning and the remaining days were fine. I would find a car difficult in Auckland unless you want to drive out to Muriwai and Piha.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
25,858 posts
138 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Kia Ora Sumaiya,

With young children I would find it hard going staying in Auckland for 4 days without a car. There are car rental companies dotted around the CBD. Nearest to the Hilton Hotel are Avis and Hertz along the Hobson Street ridge.

Many places for a day trip. Piha or Muriwai have been suggested, Combine Piha with the Arataki visitors centre in the Waitakere Ranges.

Drive along Tamaki Drive to Kelly Tarlton's for the Antartica Experience and tunnels full of fishlife, followed by a walk along Mission Bay beach and a meal at one of the cafes there.

Devonport by ferry from Pier 1 gives you a foreshore walk to North Head and the navy museum.

Cornwall Park is a working farm, so too is Ambury regional park.

Skytower is always interesting including when it is raining. Weta workshop Unleashed is on Federal Street for a rainy day activity.

The Auckland museum located in Auckland Domain gives you an under-cover Maori concert, and fantastic exhibits including hands-on displays in the kids zone.

Near the Hilton Hotel at the entrance to the Viaduct harbour is the Auckland Maritime/Voyager museum. Auckland has long been known for its sailing vessels, and there are some interesting exhibits. Again an under-cover rainy day activity.

Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Of all the places we took our kids as youngsters nothing excited our youngest ( 10 at time) like Kelly Tarltons! More than a Queensland theme park.

Now 30, he still talks about it. It did cost an extra T shirt and poster!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
558 reviews
207 helpful votes
4. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Nobody knows what the weather will be like a week in advance in NZ! We don't even know what it will like tomorrow.

We went out hiking today - 5hr tramp, wether forecast said "light showers, clearing in the afternoon". 15 min into the walk (at 9 am), we were saturated. Raincoats went off & on several times and we all ended up looking like drowned rats, but we still enjoyed our tramp; the bush is more beautiful in the rain, it wasn't cold & we came home to hot showers. The key is wearing the right clothing.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
65 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Ditto above info - your trip is 10 days away - our forecasts are not at all accurate more than 3days in advance... even then the weather can change quickly.

I wouldn't rent a car - most of the suggested places are accessible by public.

Definitely bring raincoats - most kids love a bit of a run around in the rain - and there are always hot showers and hot chocolate to enjoy after.

As above - recommended activities with kids include...

Kelly Tarltons Aquarium

Auckland Museum (oh, Peter the T-rex is still visiting too)

Ferry ride/ cruise on the harbour. Ferry over to Devonport - the navy museum at Torpedo Bay is pretty great

Nelson-Tasman...
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
657 reviews
486 helpful votes
6. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

#5 and #4 agree. We are an island in the ocean and our weather forecasts are not accurate a week out. 3 days out is generally the most reliable. But they can even be wrong the day before.

I wouldnt be setting my plans on a weather forecast a week out. We travel by camper and check the weather forecasts two days before maximum.

Level Contributor
43 posts
7. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

It shows rain 90% tomorrow. :(

Level Contributor
43 posts
8. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Kelly Tarltons is closed tomorrow.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
49,355 posts
558 reviews
207 helpful votes
9. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Do the Museum tomorrow - See the dinosaurs & the Maori Cultural performance. If the rain stops as it is forecast too around 3pm, go to Mission Bay or take a ferry ride to Devonport.

Level Contributor
43 posts
10. Re: Auckland 4 days and rain
Save

Thanks

Reply to: Auckland 4 days and rain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.