We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

3 posts
Save Topic
3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

Hi,

I am studying in London and would like to take a long weekend trip (three full days) up to see Hadrian's wall and spend some time hiking in the Lake District. I realize it isn't a lot of time, and I'm fully expecting to be quite rushed to see as much as possible.

I'm looking for advice on where to stay (one central place or one near the wall and one in the lake district?) and how to navigate around using public transport.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
525 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
5 replies to this topic
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

Do the three full days include the travel UP to the Lake District and then BACK to London (in other words do you travel up on say Friday, stay Friday night, visit on Saturday, stay Saturday night, then travel back Sunday?

So do you only have a 2 nights stay?

If you are using public transport then I think this is going to be difficult (to see both anyway)

The train leaves London Euston and you then have to get off at Oxenholme and then get the train to Windermere. Note that Windermere is the only train station in the Lake District National Park. Windermere is in the Southern part of the Lake District, furthest from Hadrian's Wall.

This journey is going to take between 3 and a half hours (minimum) to 4 and a half hours (or more) depending how long you have to wait for a train at Oxenholme.

The other option is to get the train to Penrith and get off there, then get a bus or taxi to Keswick. Note that Keswick is in the Northern part of the Lake District, nearest to Hadrians Wall.

However this journey is going to take as long as the one going to Windermere.

However note Hadrian's Wall is about 50 miles from Keswick and of course Hadrian's Wall is mostly in the middle of nowhere.

I think you may be better concentrating on just the Lake District this trip, given the short time you are there, and also for the difficulty in getting to Hadrian's Wall.

Note there have been major problems with the train timetables "up North" so be aware of that. Maybe others can comment if that will have any effect.

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
London
London
England, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
525 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
Penrith
Penrith
Eden District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

Sorry I should have specified. My three days would be taking the train up on a Friday night and back on Monday night. So three days and three nights.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

if you're looking for somewhere to say on a budget have a look at The Sill YHA at Hadrian's Wall

https:/…yha-the-sill-at-hadrians-wall

then stay at the YHA in Keswick

Mentioned in this post
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
525 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
575 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

I'd separate the two and do two trips if possible. Most of the wall stuff is between Haltwhistle & Hexham, quite a long way from the LD.

It's not impossible but travelling will eat up much of your time.

Mentioned in this post
Hexham
Hexham
Northumberland, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall

Thank you all for your help. nowhereman64 I will definitely look at The Sill YHA. Seems like a great location for Hadrian’s Wall.

Reply to: 3 Days Lake District and Hadrian's Wall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted