We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

London, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

Hi there,

I would like to ask you for your "expert" advice: I am panning a weekend by visiting some of the most beautiful villages and towns in Suffolk from London and plan to make use of the extensive means of public transportation. As I plan to spend there 2 days I am aware that the public transportation may be highly limited at the weekends, although would be interested in your options - how would you organize this short trip? I am currently reading through some websites dealing with Suffolk topics but am a little bit confused on the various buses serving this region. First of all I plan to travel on a Friday evening to Cambridge and then spending the rest 2 days in some towns and villages as follows:

Saffron Walden, Chelsworth, Lavenham, Aldeburgh, Eye, Long Melford maybe Kersey and Stanford (I know it does not really belong to Suffolk but as am in the region, would not miss it!)

Could you pls provide me a draft where you would start the journey, how you would plan, which bs companies o make use of or simply would you skip or (maybe add?) some of the towns/villages? As i am mainly interested in traditional half-timbered houses, thatched cottages and fine medieval architecture would these above towns you would also recommend for a tourist?

Many thanks for your useful input in advance!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
1. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

I would hire a car

travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/…

will let you work out the total impracticality of public transport - you can work out where to kick your heels all day on Sunday when for many of the places you mention there are no buses on a Sunday

england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

suffolkonboard.com/buses/timetables-by-area/

go here intead, you can easily fill a weekend and transport is not an issue as you walk http://discover.medievalchester.ac.uk/

Edited: 29 June 2015, 15:08
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

Unless you hire a car your list of villages is totally unrealistic. Even with a car there's far too much.

Some of the places aren't in Suffolk either.

If you don't want to hire a car then go to Cambridge as planned. Then on Saturday take the train to Bury St Edmunds and make this your base. Plenty of medieval architecture here, and some half timbered houses.

From Bury I believe there are buses out to Lavenham although I imagine there's a limited service on a Sunday. So maybe do your bus trips on the Saturday, spend Sunday in Bury and then head back home.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
391 reviews
4. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

Suffolk buses are not an easy option, especially on Sundays.

Saffron Walden f(from Cambridge) and Sudbury (from Marks tey) are both reachable on a Sunday, but not the villages. Clavering (like SW in Essex) is accessible on a Sunday by bus from SW and is steeped in thatch!

Lavenham is accessible by bus from Sudbury on a Sunday

Edited: 29 June 2015, 15:18
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

You mention Stanford - do you mean Stamford. It is a lovely stone-built town, in Lincolnshire, which is easily reached from London and Cambridge by train. Burghley House next door for Elizabethan bling. But it lacks all three of your specifications.

As suggested, Bury St Edmunds (where St Edmund is buried) is a good choice. And it is in Suffolk.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
6. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

<<Lavenham is accessible by bus from Sudbury on a Sunday>>

Not any more alas - it must have gone in one of the recent cuts to bus service funding

Edited: 30 June 2015, 02:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
7. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

Thank you for the help, will need to do some more research in this topic and will figure out soon, will keep you posted!

8. Re: Suffolk by public transportation in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2017, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Suffolk
More Suffolk Topics