We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

We are arriving on Sapphire Princess on May 5 2018 and wish to hire a car for 2 weeks then return to Heathrow. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Will they deliver car to pier or do we need to get a cab to their office. Is it worth paying extra for sat nav or use Google maps? Any other info we need?

6 replies to this topic
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

There are several Car Hire companies near the Cruise Terminals. I cant answer if they will deliver but they are all close so a very short Taxi ride. Sat Nav has become the normal way to get around so if they offer as a extra it will assist you.

Hire from a National company like link below

https:/…southampton

London
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

Most car hire firms charge handsomely for GPS, I would never pay extra for it.

If you have a smartphone, there are loads of apps that enable you to download offline maps - I wouldn't choose google maps as that needs a data connection which may be expensive / unreliable.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

You can buy a GPS for £50 or less from Amazon UK. Alternatively, a branch of the motoring accessories retailer Halfords is close to the cruise terminals and the car hire depots in Southampton.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

Remember when comparing car rental quotes to ensure you include the cost of any one way rental fees which can be substantial. Some companies do not include them in the 'headline quote' and hide them in the small print.

It is possible that dropping off at a busy location like Heathrow you might escape the one way charges but check before you book.

NEVER pay car rental company for GPS when a smart phone will do the job for free, the latest Google maps will allow you to download maps for off-line navigation or NavMii is a free app that doesn't rely on having a data connection.

Most supermarkets sell UK road atlases for less than £2.50 for the old fashioned approach (Service stations charge up to £8 for the same book)

If your mobile phone doesn't include roaming in the UK you could consider buying a cheap PAYG SIM to use while in Europe

Edited: 26 July 2017, 19:12
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

My guests used Enterprise cars, but there are other car hire firms.

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal

I have just returned from a short visit to Southampton and I'll highly recommend West Quay Car Hire for any Taxi services. Their drivers were all very polite and on time. Same appreciation goes to the staff who promptly answered all my queries on phone and emails.

Besides it is a large company and can service any kind of taxi service.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Reply to: Car hire at Southampton cruise terminal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted