We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

5 posts
Save Topic
Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Had a couple questions...

-Is it easy to get tickets for the match when they are released?

-Best spot to go for a drink before or after the game

-Any areas of town to avoid?(I'm from Baltimore, so rough parts of town don't bother me, haha)

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
14 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,073 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

< Is it easy to get tickets for the match when they are released? >

No, most tickets will go to season ticket holders and club members then they go on general sale - if there's any.. Hospitality tickets are a possibility but tend to be expensive. In any case it doesn't seem to be available for this game

https://southamptonfc.com/hospitality

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Southampton is really not that difficult to get tickets for! I am just registered with them (do this online) and have never paid any kind of membership fee. Unless playing one of the top 4 or so teams or Bournemouth (maybe Brighton this year. Who knows?) it's easy to buy tickets a few weeks in advance. Collect at the ground or in the shop at West Quay. I only go to a couple of matches a year. That's enough for me. Very expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Bournemouth
Bournemouth
Dorset, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

All of the city centre pubs will be crowded before the match.

There are no bad areas in Southampton but keep you wits about you in crowds, there might be pick pockets about looking for easy targets. Also steer clear of groups who may have over imbibed.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

I would avoid St Mary Street pubs although you are probably used to "rednecks".

There are some good pubs at the bottom of the High Street and Oxford Street 10 minutes walk away. There is a small traditional pub called "The Guide Dog" in Ancasta Road, which is very welcoming to visiting football guests. It has a 10 minute short cut along the river so you could follow the red and white scarves to St Mary's Stadium or from the corner of the pub you can see the top of the stadium and just make your own way.

Mentioned in this post
Guide Dog
Guide Dog
45 Reviews
Southampton, UK
St Mary's Stadium
St Mary's Stadium
461 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

There are a couple of splendid small pubs (The Dolphin and The Junction Inn) serving excellent beer along with basic pub food right by St Denys station. From there it's a pleasant 20 minute walk along the river to the ground.

If you are coming from London by train then you will be in the company of hundreds of Newcastle fans (so a red and white Southampton scarf isn't a good idea) but you should leave the train at Southampton Airport station and wait on the same platform for a stopping train to St Denys.

Mentioned in this post
Junction Inn
Junction Inn
7 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Agree that The Dolphin and The Junction are both good pubs located near St Deny's train station. The river route is strictly used by Saints fans though. I forgot to mention The Admiral Lucius Curtis, a Wetherspoons located on Canute Road, just before Ocean Village, that is often used by both home and away fans. There is a cheap bus that leaves Southampton Central station (south side platform 4) to the docks. Of course there are always taxis regardless of which pub you go to in Southampton (West Quay Cars - 023 8099 9999).

Here is what the Stadium website has to say: "There are not many pubs located close to the stadium, so the choice for away fans is limited. There is the Waterfront Bar in William Street, which is an area called Shamrock Quay. You can visit the Waterfront Bar website for more details. Nic Hallam a visiting Wolverhampton Wanderers fan adds; 'In the Ocean Village we found "The Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis" public house. This large establishment had an excellent choice of beers, friendly bar staff and a convivial mix of both home and away fans'.

Most fans seem to end up in the city centre before the game, where there are plenty of pubs to choose from. Paul Hunt a visiting Bristol City fan adds; 'On our last visit the Standing Order Wetherspoons outlet was for home fans only, with bouncers on the door. We ended up in Yates Wine Lodge in the central shopping area. There were also a lot of away fans in the Slug & Lettuce next door'. Away fans should avoid pubs along St Marys Street such as the Kingsland Tavern, Joiners and Isobar. Please remember though that if you do drink in the centre, that the stadium is a good twenty minute walk away. Otherwise alcohol is served within the ground."

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Village
Ocean Village
123 Reviews
Southampton, UK
The Waterfront Bar
The Waterfront Bar
37 Reviews
Southampton, UK
The Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis
The Admiral Sir Lucius...
164 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

There are direct trains from Newcastle to Southampton via Birmingham, so I am not sure if there will be many Newcastle fans traveling via Waterloo or not. There will in any case be plenty of Saints fans on that train. It always surprises me how many live in London. Plus the trains stop in Basingstoke and Winchester where plenty of Southampton fans can be found.

It's not clear if the OP is a Newcastle or Southampton fan, or if they're aware that fans are segregated in the ground (and sometimes outside too. See above regarding Wetherspoons). If you're sitting with the home fans, you have to support the home team. No wearing a Man U shirt or anything. You'll get thrown out. Maybe you already know this.

I was going to suggest the Yate's pub as well because it always seems full of football fans and sports fans in general (Sky TV on all the time). If you're walking from Southampton Central station you have to walk right past it (and it's often where a police riot van is parked!).

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Basingstoke
Basingstoke
Hampshire, UK
Winchester
Winchester
Hampshire, UK
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Original poster here, I'm actually a Saints fan, my dad played for them, so I've been a fan since birth, haha. Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm staying at the Cargo, so it seems like most of these places are within walking distance. The Chapel Arms also seems like it'd be a fun place to go before the match?

I'll have a few days in Soton, so i'm probably gonna wind up at a few of these spots.

Mentioned in this post
Cargo
Cargo
272 Reviews
Southampton, UK
The Chapel Arms
The Chapel Arms
5 Reviews
Southampton, UK
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Hey Patrick, as a life long Saints fan who actually regularly goes to games & lives in the city I would take a lot of the above with a pinch of salt.

If your just out to enjoy the game and have a few beers you won't encounter any problems.

The only problem you may encounter with the geordies (Newcastle fans) is actually being able to understand them lol. There accent is strong and gets stronger with beer added but generally they are a decent crowd.

The Oxford St area has some good pre and post match pubs so you will have a good day there. It's also not far to walk to St Mary's from that area.

Tell me more about your dads time with Saints?

Just remember here we put out toes'ers in our soccer's and use them to walk to the football match 😉

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle

Why not write to Saints, saying that your dad played for them and you are trying to get tickets? Even in these days of instant communication by email, I still think that a snail mail letter is more likely to produce results. However, provide an email address in your letter.

Reply to: Coming over for Saints v Newcastle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted