We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally heading to Herefordshire!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Finally heading to Herefordshire!

I've been wanting to get to Herefordshire for years - and am finally going in very early March. First week in my beloved Oxford, 4 days in Herefordshire, 4 days in London. In Hereford will be staying at the Somerville House B&B. I've just discovered a lot of the big houses are closed that early in the year (I had really wanted to see Hellens!), but I am looking forward to just seeing some of the small towns - on my list is Ledbury, Leominster, Kington, Bromyard, Ludlow, Symonds Yat, Tenbury Wells, Weobley, Pembridge! I will only be in Herefordshire a short while, but hope to get around to most of these locations. I mostly enjoy just exploring the non-touristy areas. I like ambling around in bookshops, touring churches, going on walking tours, hearing the history of the area, seeing museums, talking to people who live in the area. I'm traveling solo this trip. I'm hoping in a few years to be able to base myself in this area and do a home exchange for a month or two. Any ideas for things not to miss in Herefordshire? On all my trips to England I've always found myself saying "I don't want to be a tourist, I want to LIVE here". So recommendations for the little things would be most appreciated. (i.e. the best bookshop, best walking tours, etc.). Thanks. Cynthia

Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

Golly!

You have already mentioned many good things to do yourself - it's hard to 'beat' your own list, frankly.

But maybe the local Tourist Office website will help a bit:

http://visitherefordshire.co.uk/things-to-do/

Good Luck!

Leintwardine...
Level Contributor
20 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

If you really want to visit a good bookshop, then you really must visit

'Aardvark Books' in Brampton Bryan. It's about 15 minutes from Ludlow in North Herefordshire. The bookshop is privately owned and operates on a very informal basis. It rambling timbered interior is only part of it's charm. It has a great coffee shop within the store where everything is home made. There is often a solo musician playing somewhere tucked away in a corner.

You can find out more information at 'Aardvark-books.com'

I promise you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with the visit.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

Thanks very much. Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I will get to Aardvark Books. Sounds perfect.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

Weobley and Kington are very different - the first quite "discovered" and a nice day out from the West Midlands, Kington very much still a border town, more "local" in feeling. I like both. Do pop over the border to Clun and Bishop's Castle though whilst you're here, I don't think you'll be disappointed ;-)

Any chance of a trip report when you're back home ?

Mike

UK
Level Contributor
990 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

Hi Cynthia

Somerville is within walking distance of Hereford City – where you will be able to visit the Old House in the centre visitherefordshire.co.uk/things-to-do/… and the cathedral home to the Mappa Mundi and a Chained Library, visitherefordshire.co.uk/things-to-do/… the Cider museum may also be of interest . visitherefordshire.co.uk/things-to-do/… . Unfortunately the tourist office walking tours in Hereford city only operate during the summer but there are a number of other operators offering a variety walks in Herefordshire throughout the year.

If you like bookshops I suggest a visit to Hay on Wye which is just over the border – although it is “touristy” particular during the Hay Festival at that time of year it will be fine. If you are travelling from Hereford city to Hay you will pass the Weir gardens which should be pretty with Spring flowers at that time and may be worth a stop. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/weir/ . Also on the same road is a great farm shop with a café. http://www.oakchurch.net/index.htm

As you say unfortunately the house at Hellens will not be open but there are a lot of houses open when you are visiting such as Berrington, Croft Castle and one of my favourite places - the medieval moated manor house and estate at Brockhampton near Bromyard

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brockhampton-estate/

6. Re: Finally heading to Herefordshire!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Hereford
Recent Conversations