We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where's the centre?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
where's the centre?

we've booked to stay at the Green Dragon hotel so I've been using the 'little orange man' on Google maps to look around the area. I've read that Hereford is a lovely little place but have been unable to find any decent shops or riverside walks anywhere close to the hotel.

Can somebody put me straight please and advise where I should be looking for some quaint little shops (or even chain stores) and some nice riverside walks with a couple of pubs to stop at for a spot of lunch.

All I've been able to see on Google street view are a couple of charity shops, a couple of banks, tesco and a couple of car parks.

I've been looking around the area of the Green dragon Hotel. Am I in completely the wrong area of town please?

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where's the centre?

The Green Dragon Hotel is in Broad Street.

If you google "Broad Street Hereford", you should see a street map with a green arrow pointing to the location of your accommodation.

You can see the river, the cathedral etc. etc.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where's the centre?

Thank you but as I said in my post, I've had a good look all around the immediate area of the hotel and can't see much there apart from the cathedral. Is there a main 'shopping street' please and what's it called? Also, how do I get to a riverside walk from the Green Dragon hotel? Hopefully, we'll be able to find a nice grassy area on the banks of the river to have a bit of an al fresco lunch if the weather's fine.

Thanks

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where's the centre?

Commercial Rd etc. You won't find it on Google SV as it's a pedestrian area.

Incidentally, take macs. I've never been tto Hereford when it's dry!

UK
Level Contributor
990 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where's the centre?

You are fine staying at the Green Dragon - there are some nice independent shops on Church St - which runs up to High Town from the side of the cathedral. ( So turn right out of the Green dragon walk down Broad St a very short distance to the cathedral - have a look round there it is lovely and then on the left hand side of cathedral close Church St begins ) If you turn left a few steps takes you to High Town which has always been the main shopping centre - has M&S, Boots etc . A couple of weeks ago the new shopping centre opened ( although not all of it is yet) - this is called the Old Market

http://www.oldmarkethereford.co.uk/

Commercial Rd is not the main shopping area but a road with a few shops, pubs etc leading to the main areas

For river walks in the city you can do some circular walks right in the centre as there are 3 footbridges now to cross the river. Here is one that takes in some of the city and river

theaa.com/walks/the-historic-city-of-herefor…

The newest footbridge is not shown on the map on the site but is lower down the river from Victoria bridge

Other ideas for walks can be found here

herefordcathedral.org/about-us/cathedral-clo…

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where's the centre?

Thanks for the detailed information. I will browse those links shortly. Just what I was after- very helpful.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where's the centre?

Been having a look around those links, thanks again. Looking forward to our visit now, hoping we'll get the weather next weekend.

Incidentally, does anybody know if the area is cycle friendly? Hubby is a keen cyclist and may decide to bring his bike. Are there any long cycle paths in the area pease?

Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
990 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where's the centre?

Glad they were useful - hope you have a good weekend.

Reply to: where's the centre?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hereford
Recent Conversations