We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different things to do

Kent, United Kingdom
6 posts
Different things to do

Hi Everyone

My family and i have been to I.O.W. a couple of times now and we love it, especially my 3 yr old daughter and we are going back for 4 days in a couple of weeks.

We're happy with what we got planned but i was looking for some secrets places or different/ unusual things to do or go that only locals will know.

We found steephill cove last time and my wife loves looking for fossils so we went to the Compton beach area with a guide last time.

If anyone has any ideas or knows somewhere a bit different would be great to add to our days out.

Many thanks

2 replies to this topic
North York Moors...
Level Contributor
292 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Different things to do

Difficult to answer as these days (Interweb etc) there are not really many things 'just locals know'. However, in the spirit of trying to help, the following might be of interest (mainly history based but that's my thing):

Newport Roman Villa - hidden away and not much on the face of it but it holds some interesting stories.

The Long Stone Mottistone. One of my favourite spots.

Five Barrows promontory fort on Chillerton Down - Just large bumps but very interesting to archeologists - stand where Vespasian once did before he was Emperor? Good views in any case - not sure about public access these days.

Priory Bay - nice secluded beach.

Needles battery - Fantastic views from a Victorian fort on the cliffs.

Bonchurch old church - tiny and unique.

Binstead Holy Cross Church - Unusual Sheela Na Gig and gravestones (see the Wikipedia article)

St Helen's Church and Duver - Where Dr Who and the Sea Devils was filmed (as well as Whitecliff Bay etc)

Puckpool Park and Battery.

Volunteer Pub in Ventnor - Hope is still as good these days.

If any of these grab you read up on them and see what you think.

These is a book called Isle of Wight Curiosities that is quite good. For local books Ryde Bookshop (a tourist attraction in itself) in High Street has a great selection. Oh and I forgot to mention the nearby Dr Who Shop!!!

Have a great holiday.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
281 reviews
2. Re: Different things to do

Your 3 year old would love the Wallaby mob at Tapnell farm and would probably enjoy seeing the pigs at Quarr Abbey.

Reply to: Different things to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations