We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illuminations during the day

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Illuminations during the day

Hi

I will be visiting the North West in early September. I am wondering whether it is worth going to see the illuminations. Unfortunately I am not able to get there in the evening when they are switched on. Are they still worth going to see during the day when they are switched off?

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Dundee, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Illuminations during the day

I personally don't think they are anything to look at with the lights off.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,727 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illuminations during the day

I tend to agree. Although I haven't been for years, I'd say that the whole point of going to see the illuminations is to see them lit up. Even then, some people I know have ben unimpressed!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
660 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Illuminations during the day

If you search google images under 'blackpool illuminations daytime' you'll see a few photos of daylight views. It depends on your interest I suppose but with some of the larger tableux (the stretch near Bispham) it would be hard to see what the picture is meant to be as the moving lights show the picture (for example, in one a motorbike rider is shown jumping over buses). Occasionally the lights are on during the day (not sure if this is for testing or by accident!) but no way of guessing those days.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Illuminations during the day

Answer to your qn = a definite no

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illuminations during the day

To be honest, I was disappointed in them even when they were lit up. During the daytime, there's even less to see.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
759 posts
1,444 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illuminations during the day

You are wasting your time going to see illuminations during the day!! They are worth seeing once its dark, so if you can try and get there in the evening 😊

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illuminations during the day

The "Illuminations" are not worth a visit.

The bucket collections on the prom road at start to finish of the Illuminations are un-warranted and a disgrace.

The magnificent tableaux from Bispham to Uncle Tom's Cabin only exist on old film when the town had holiday people not welfare dependent relocated occupants with other local government subsidy/funding into Blackpool.

Current expenditure on tourism attractions and local parks is abysmally poor.

What were you expecting to see where there is nothing new to see in daylight now.

There are old and seasonal extra street light decorations from Talbot Square to Pleasure Beach and hardly worth a visit.

Edited: 20 August 2017, 05:23
North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Illuminations during the day

We were there last week and the illuminations were being tested at night and they are not worth seeing.

They used to be fantastic but now they are just pointless lights with no theme,and just a lot of neon lights.

Such a shame

London
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Illuminations during the day

Ever wondered why firework displays are never at lunchtime?

Reply to: Illuminations during the day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blackpool
Recent Conversations