We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

2 posts
Save Topic
Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

Hello :)

I've been doing some research on the refraction phenomenon and the view of Isle of Man from Blackpool is a great example!

There's one thing that bugs me though, I understand that light refraction is a rare phenomenon that occurs under specific atmospheric circumstances, but I keep seeing so many photos of it! Is it a regular thing? Does it happen ALL the time? Even all day?? Or is it actually rare and people just happen to take a picture every time it happens?

Hope people from Blackpool can answer my question, and i'm sorry it's not travel-related =)

Thank you so much!

10 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

You can see the Isle of Man from North Promenade higher elevation under the "right" atmospheric ie clear weather conditions.and viisibilty, inevitably summer like now.

Not seen on the beach at sea level and better if viewing from 2 storey building at least.

To remain travel related you could stay with a sea view at the former aspiring 5* Pembroke Hotel now a Hilton under IHG which is about to change from 26 June 2018.

https:/…

Kent, England
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

No, by no means can you always see the Isle of Man from Blackpool. Its often cloudy and overcast, unfortunately, although its been very sunny and clear the last week or so. Head up to the North Shore, north of the North Pier on the cliffs, the higher part of Blackpool, for the best views.

Level Contributor
2,070 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

God no.... Blackpool the rain capital of the north west.. .lol.

On a good clear day you can see the outline.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

And, oddly enough, on a clear day you can see Blackpool Tower from the Isle of Man provided that you are high enough. A sunny day helps as it tends to "illuminate" the Tower.

I am not sure that it has anything to do with refraction though, Blackpool and the Isle of Man are close enough for line of sight observation providing that you are high enough above the sea (and that sea spray isn't an issue).

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

<<Blackpool the rain capital of the north west>> Is this the same Blackpoll where it has hardly rained at all for the last 6 weeks.

I cycled down the front from Fleetwood today and there was no sign of the Isle of Man. i assume you would stand a considerably better chance from the top of the Tower.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

It happens when the sea is cold and the light is bent downward over the horizon so more common in the spring when the sea is at its coldest. It’s the opposite effect of a mirage in the desert when the land is warm and the light is bent upwards to the sky giving the effect of water on the land.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

Just to inject some science here, how far you can see things in the distance depends primarily on four things. The height of what you are looking at; the height from which you are observing; the degree to which weather/pollution conditions reduce visibility; and the amount of atmospheric refraction, which is enhanced by stable cold air underlying warmer air. In extremis, the latter can create what is know as a “superior mirage”, where an image of a distant object can appear above the real object, making it visible from a much greater distance than normal. The refraction effect can happen at any time the low-lying air is cool enough, is not disturbed by wind and is usually most apparent as sunset approaches.

Without that effect, a six feet tall person wouldn’t be able to see much more than about 3 miles to the horizon because of the earth’s curvature, and a person at the top of Blackpool Tower wouldn’t be able to see more than about 30 miles to the horizon. The Isle of Wight is some 65 miles away. However, the highest summit on the island is Snaefell, at about 2,000 feet, which extends the distance from which it could be seen to around 60 miles… still not quite enough to enable it to be seen from eye level at Blackpool without any refraction, but certainly enough to enable it to be seen from the top of the tower. In fact from the top of the tower you would be able to see any part of the island with an elevation above about 1,500 feet, although not all of it (without the need for refraction, and assuming the conditions were clear).

With a sufficiently strong refractive effect (if the air was cold enough, still enough and clear enough) you might occasionally be able to see the entire island (not just the higher peaks) from eye level and somewhat more frequently from the top of the tower.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

Thank you all for the clarification :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

#7.

for Isle of Wight read Isle of Man.

Interesting post, physics and geography combined, but not much about travel.

On a clear day you can see France if standing on the cliffs above Dover.

Edited: 15 June 2018, 02:21
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?

You can see it from the end of north pier on a very clear sunny day. Also you can see it from the top of the tower in the same conditions. You have to have very good eyesight though. I went with family and me and my sister could see it but my nan and uncle couldn't.

Reply to: Can you ALWAYS see Isle of Man from Blackpool?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blackpool
Recent Conversations