We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

Hello! My girls and I were planning on traveling from Edinburgh Waverley Station to Liverpool on 7 July 2018. I can see from the National Rail website that Lime Street Station (which all the travel apps indicate should be our station of arrival) is going to be closed. It looks as though we will be traveling on Northern. I am confused with trying to discover which alternate station we will actually be arriving at so that I can better determine what time we can check in to our B&B. Any help offered will be gratefully accepted!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
4 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

The first part of your journey will probably be on Virgin Trains to Preston or Wigan.

To get the best cheap Advance Purchase fare you should book now.

If Lime St is closed you will simply go to another Liverpool station and hopefully a local will be along to give further advice.

Mentioned in this post
Preston
Preston
Lancashire, UK
Wigan
Wigan
Greater Manchester, UK
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

I've done this journey

what you would do on a normal service is either change at Preston (to Liverpool Lime Street) or Wigan (to Liverpool Lime Street)

with all the work going on at Lime Street, there is several options all will be sorted by Network Rail

you could get a train from Preston > Ormskirk then onto Liverpool Central

there will be plans afoot for various other options for trains (possibly even a bus replacement service)

or you could stay on the Edinburgh Train to Warrington, then transfer to a train to Liverpool South Parkway, then transfer to a Merseyrail train to Liverpool central

over all I wouldn't expect to arrive at Liverpool on time as the extra connections and changes will add to your planned arrival time

Mentioned in this post
Preston
Preston
Lancashire, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Wigan
Wigan
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Warrington
Warrington
Cheshire, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,714 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

Lime Street station is actually open on 7th July for trains coming from Wigan, Preston and Manchester Victoria!

It's very clear on the National Rail website what trains you have to get. There is no need to go via Ormskirk or Liverpool South Parkway.

For example, if you get the 8.53 from Edinburgh the details are as follows:

08:53 Edinburgh [EDB] 9 Preston (Lancs) [PRE] 11:15 6 2h 22m

11:29 Preston (Lancs) [PRE] 2 Liverpool Lime Street [LIV] 12:41 1 1h 12m

Etc etc etc..... …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

P.S. buy your tickets asap because, as you can see, there are Advance single tickets available for as little as £22.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:18
Mentioned in this post
Wigan
Wigan
Greater Manchester, UK
Preston
Preston
Lancashire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,714 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Liverpool by train

Too late to edit the above...

...if you get the 12.52 from Edinburgh, with one change at Preston, it's only £14.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Preston
Preston
Lancashire, UK
Reply to: Edinburgh to Liverpool by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted