We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid assurance calls

London
Level Contributor
498 posts
42 reviews
88 helpful votes
Covid assurance calls
Save

Has anyone arrived in the U.K. in quarantine and had the covid assurance team call? It’s a service to ensure you’re abiding by the quarantine requirements if you’re be recently entered which I’m in the process of doing but I have missed every single call which is so annoying. My phone literally never rings out more than twice so I rarely ever answer a call unless I’m staying at my phone using it. I’m now paranoid because I’ve missed the last five calls. Anyone else had this issue!!? You can’t call them back either which is annoying

61 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

Is this because of your phone or because they only let it ring that long? If the latter it's worth a call to a newspaper or MP. There is a distinct whiff of a private contractor trying to meet a call quota!

And I find it hard to understand how phoning someone on a mobile helps establish where they are, unless they are also tracking which mast it is on when it is answered.

London
Level Contributor
498 posts
42 reviews
88 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

That’s a good point to be honest last time I was surprised I could possibly miss it because it was next to me in the kitchen while cooking on loud ringer and I stepped into the terrace to pick some herbs. Just annoying Cos I just want to answer it!!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
23,205 posts
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

Sounds as though it could be like other cold calls where they ring several numbers at once and speak to the one that answers first, you know, the sort where when you pick up the phone it goes dead. They have a target number to reach.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
24,807 posts
89 reviews
139 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

“ Which” report that the legitimate number from the U.K. contact tracing service is 0300 013 5000, although there are reports that criminals and scammers have been “ spoofing” that number.

More information in this link....

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06/nhs-covid-19-contact-tracing-message-how-can-i-tell-if-its-real-or-a-scam/

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,478 posts
73 reviews
124 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

I don't answer calls from numbers that aren't in my contacts or that I don't recognise, so they wouldn't be able to get hold of me!

They could try knocking on my front door, but unless I'm expecting someone to visit, or a delivery from a courier, I don't answer the door!

So good luck with that. ;-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
24,807 posts
89 reviews
139 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

Matt_Pool

I’m the same.. if I don’t recognise the number calling, I let it go to voicemail.

If anyone really wants to speak to me they will leave a message..and CCTV shows me anyone approaching my home...

Edited: 1 year ago
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
27,819 posts
3,121 reviews
2,728 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

Like Matt I rarely answer calls that I do not recognise.

Otherwise I would have someone trying to persuade me that I had an accident, my Amazon Prime membership has run out or that I am wanted for non payment of taxes.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,478 posts
73 reviews
124 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

Spam emails are easy to spot to.

I get several dozen a week saying that my Pay Pal account has been compromised, my Amazon password has been hacked or my Apple ID has been cloned (I don't even have an Apple ID!).

99.9% of the time the senders email address will be something like hjkfibgbeas5276tsgsklse885@fjiiiiii.com instead of from Amazon.com etc

Sadly, that's how a lot of people, mainly elderly, get conned. Especially when they get an email from "TV Licensing" which tells them to update their bank details. But the email isn't from "donotreply@tvlicensing.co.uk" but from "aglgl;4jgykllaaaaal496@jiouyhd.us"

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,478 posts
73 reviews
124 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

P.S. and any number that calls my phone that I don't recognise gets blocked straight away, so they wouldn't be able to phone me again unless they used a different number. And then I'd just block that number! ;-)

Edited: 1 year ago
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
438 reviews
153 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid assurance calls
Save

I never answer calls. If people want to contact me. They’ll text me. Like above. If I get an unknown number, it’s usually blocked. Same as answering the door, I don’t do it.

Reply to: Covid assurance calls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.