We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Covid test

Heathrow Covid test
Save

Hi there. My family will be arriving to Heathrow on 9/10/21 from the US via Virgin Atlantic Airlines. I would like to book our Day 0-2 Covid test at the airport. The only choices I see for testing locations at the airport on the "expresstest" website are T2 arrivals, T3 forecourt and T5 arrivals. From what I can tell, Virgin uses Terminal 3 for arrivals. Should I book at test at T3 forecourt? I'm not sure what that means - will that area be accessible to us as an arriving flight? Thanks for any insight!

52 replies to this topic
Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

Virgin do use T3, there is a large forecourt area outside the departures section of the terminal.

There maybe signs to the testing locations or you can follow signs for the departures area, do a U turn to the right after you exit in to the arrivals area after going through customs.

2. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

Thanks very much!

Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

I am wondering from other US traveler's flying into Heathrow to stay in London (or vicinity) that have already completed their travel if can offer their experience with day 2 testing(at Heathrow) and departure testing 3 days before travel.

We are flying to Heathrow in October and already know about getting testing prior to flying to UK along with passenger locator form to complete indicating the purchase of day 2 test. I am looking to understand what US travelers used for both series of tests(once in UK), was booking easy and results timely?

I would like to get day 2 upon arrival and as this thread notes there is express test on site for arrivals in terminal(we are not renting a car so no drive thru).

Thank you very much.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
35 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

It doesn't matter where you've come from for the day 2 test - the process is the same for travellers from anywhere on the green or amber lists (and you don't need to book your day 2 and pre-departure tests with the same provider). I've got a day 2 test booked with Express Test at T5 later this month - it seemed the easiest option in order to just get it done rather than having to do one at home and send it back. There are lots of test providers available, some more reasonably priced than others and some only offering self-testing kits rather than clinic-based appointments. It's also worth checking with your airline if they have any partner providers, as various airlines have negotiated discounts with test providers.

Obviously your pre-departure test will need to meet whatever the requirements are for entering the US - some countries will accept either PCR or antigen tests, some are PCR only.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
188 posts
27 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

I plan to have my Day 0-2 day test upon arrival at Heathrow atTerminal 5. I am flying from New York and arrive 10:20am on September 11. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has recently arrived and gone through the airport testing as I am curious about wait times going through passport control and Covid testing. Also, how far in advance can one book the arrival test?

For my return back to the US, I plan to use the Abbott BinaxNOW at home proctored test.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
429 posts
489 reviews
191 helpful votes
6. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

I just used the abott testing to come home from Iceland. Make sure you bring the 2 tests as they suggest because the bottle of reagent was completely dry on my husbands. luckily I slipped him the rest of my bottle as I went first. Also I was told by BA that they would only accept a pcr test to board their planes. Does anyone know if this is for sure true?

I don't see why it should matter if that is the requirement for US entry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
188 posts
27 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

Thanks for the update, Swimmy, and I heard the recommendation is to travel with two tests. . I was in Iceland in June and no one had problems with the Abbott test there. That’s weird about BA. They should accept whatever is accepted by the arrival country’s regulations and the CDC approved the Abbott test. I’m flying from London on American operated by BA so will need to explore that.

Anyone else have info about using the Abbott eMed test to return to US from UK?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
531 posts
1 review
8. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

Hi Swimmy128, regarding Abbott BinaxNow you did, I am wondering if you can answer a couple questions.

Did you notice the expiration date? What is it?

Can different people use different testing kits within the same package? You said your husband also used it, I assume it was from the same package? I have read earlier report that it could only be used by the purchaser, no one else, which sounded quite unreasonable.

Thanks so much!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
9. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

Also I was told by BA that they would only accept a pcr test to board their planes.

--

I can't see anything on the BA website to that effect, and it would seem odd that they'd put that barrier up given they need all the cash they can get.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
429 posts
489 reviews
191 helpful votes
10. Re: Heathrow Covid test
Save

We bought the package of six. And it can be split up. Each person must have their own navica account though.

Yes I have also looked on their page and see nothing either. Thats why I was hoping someone would know.

Edited: 22 August 2021, 20:18
Reply to: Heathrow Covid test
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.