We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use US iPhone for Tube

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Is there anything else I need to do to use my US iPhone for paying for the Tube. I’ve turned on the switch in the Apple Pay/Wallet settings. Can I go straight to the turnstiles?

7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
868 posts
17 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

If you've never used Apple Pay before, try it out before you need it in the tube just to be sure you're all set up. Worked like a charm for me on tube and buses a few years back. I also recommend using CityMapper app to plan your journeys. If you have an Apple Watch you can also set up Pay on that, sometimes it's easier than messing with your phone. CityMapper also comes through your watch so you get notices to prepare to get off a few minutes before your stop. Have a good trip!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
20,608 posts
276 reviews
149 helpful votes
2. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Just make sure that as you approach the exit make sure your iPhone is ready to tap. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been held up by people blocking the gates (or holding up the coffee queue) while they deal with facial recognition or tap in their password.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
26,540 posts
80 reviews
131 helpful votes
3. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Indeed I'd say it's right up there with standing on the left on escalators for annoying the locals....

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Yes, people not having stuff "good to go" such as their money/card when they *know* they're going to it (such as the pay point in a shop) is one of my pet peeves 😠

Edited: 22 September 2021, 22:29
Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Make sure your Card provider knows you're going abroad - some have a block on foreign use unless you notify them in advance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,049 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
6. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Turn on Express Pay, and then you don't need to use FaceID or TouchID to authorise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Use US iPhone for Tube
Save

Thank you All!

I use Apple Pay all the time and I’ve now turned on Express Pay. It sounds like I’m good to go.

I’ll check out CityMapper since the Apple Watch part sounds helpful.

Reply to: Use US iPhone for Tube
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.