We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attitude to Covid in London now?

Alberga, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

I'm arriving Thursday night and will be staying 4 days.

Are people still wearing masks in London? Distancing, at all?

I have all the paperwork and am fully vaccinated but the infection rate in the UK is way higher than where I live so I have a few concerns :D

Phil

37 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
100 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

I can’t speak for London in particular but in the City where I live there is now very little social distancing.

Mask wearing in shops has probably dropped to about 30% and very few people bother at all when walking around restaurants and pubs.

I got on a train last week and out of 24 people in my carriage only 7 had face coverings.

In London, for tfl public transport, face coverings are still mandatory but a report I read on Monday regarding Commuters on the tube suggested that less than 50% were now adhering to the rules.

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
143 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

It’s mandatory to wear a mask on TFL owned transport but it isn’t being enforced at the moment. Shops and cafes are pretty much back to normal with people crowding in together-until someone coughs anyway!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
8,517 posts
64 reviews
133 helpful votes
3. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

You are right to be concerned

Take as many precautions as you can.

As said above

Face masks are only worn by a small minority

There are still hand sanitisers at entrances but many people now ignore them.

Social distancing is decreasing.

Remain alert

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
633 reviews
266 helpful votes
4. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

And again not London But - I overnighted in a hotel just outside Oxford last night and I was very much in a minority with a mask in public areas (despite signs) and people were ignoring signs saying “only one person in the lift” - disheartening really……

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
26,540 posts
80 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

If you're concerned you shouldn't be travelling. And you're still a risk to others even if fully vaccinated.

England, United...
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
135 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

Infection rates in adults have been declining but covid is racing through schools now and it is yet to be seen if it will spread to older age groups again. Universities are going back too, more mixing of people from all over the country. So the infection rate is not as serious here as it looks, lots of schoolchildren and some young adults who are not generally seriously ill. However Delta is finding the unvaccinated.

Personally I'm still wearing a mask and even wear it outdoors if it's crowded enough. Our hospital accident and emergency departments are struggling in some places - including London. I dont know the rules for returning to Sweden but you dont want to become infected while here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

Hi Phil

Take on board what others are saying but note that London is much quieter ie less crowded than it would be in a normal year.

I was in Central London yesterday. Mainly to visit exhibition at the British museum. Hand sanitiser in coffee shops and restaurant we went to.

Agree that mask wearing has dropped somewhat. Probably a 50:50 split. Tends to be the younger folk that don't wear them.

Alberga, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

Were you there for the Nero exhibit? That's one of the reasons I'm coming over :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,609 posts
74 reviews
124 helpful votes
9. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

Where I live I'd say only 1 in 10 are continuing to wear masks on public transport. The train I catch to work in the morning has been rammed all week with standing room only.

That 1 in 10 probably drops to below 1 in 10 in supermarkets. I went to one in Liverpool city centre yesterday and it was very busy because all of the students have returned, and guess what, none of them were wearing masks, the same as they didn't this time last year when we were still in various stages of lockdown!

My sister and her husband were in London last week and said it was wonderful without the throngs of tourists, but she said that people from a certain country stood out by how loud they were!

They avoided public transport altogether while in London and walked everywhere, getting in 25,000 steps a day!

UK
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
24 reviews
41 helpful votes
10. Re: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Save

Face masks protect people around the wearer rather than the wearer, and I think that those not wearing them in crowded places are incredibly selfish.

I now wear FFP2 masks, which are the only ones that offer some protection to the wearer... and have the added advantage of being more comfortable to other masks. That's what I would recommend to the OP.

Reply to: Attitude to Covid in London now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.