We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for day trips outside of London?

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Either by train or bus........traveling with a 13 year old & he likes everything......thanks

34 replies to this topic
1. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 October 2021, 21:17

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
23,834 posts
633 reviews
266 helpful votes
2. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

You will potentially get much further, and travel more comfortably, on a train.

Does he have anything in particular he wants to see?

A favourite of mine would be going to York, this is two hours each way from London and is packed with history and technology (the National Railway Museum is marvellous).

Mediaeval walls, Roman remains, magnificent cathedral (and Macdonald’s etc!)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,668 posts
74 reviews
124 helpful votes
3. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Well if he likes everything then he must like The Beatles, cathedrals, Chinese arches and the Ferry Across The Mersey, so take him to Liverpool which is just over 2 hours on the train from London!

And, as he likes everything, you could take him to the Chair Museum in High Wycombe!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Take a look at visiting Bath. The Roman Baths there are extensive and the presentation/educational components are engagingly presented. I could have spent a full day in the Baths alone. Much else there is architecture and Jane Austen/ Georgian social history which may not appeal to him; but the bridge and river viewscape is unique and interesting.

Within London, I’d be sure to visit the Museum of London and it’s Docklands branch - both have good family programming.

If he’s interested in Stonehenge, it’s worth the trip. I did an International Friends tour that included Stonehenge, the Glastonbury tor and it was a good day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
5. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Don't know when this is for but if it's warm go punting in Cambridge.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

St Albans 25 minutes by train from London, Roman remains, amphitheatre, Museum and Cathedral.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, HMS Victory Nelson flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1815, the Mary Rose, HMS Warrior Britain’s first Ironclad, and across the water by ferry the Submarine Museum with HMS Alliance. The ferry also takes a little trip around the harbour and you can see which Royal Navy vessels are in port.

Also the D-Day Museum, there’s actually enough there for several days.

The Imperial War Museum Duxford where it houses it’s aircraft collection, including the hall of American aircraft dedicated to the memory of the pilots based there durin WW2, and some armoured vehicles.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
276 reviews
150 helpful votes
7. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

So many places to see in London you won’t have to go far unless you really want to eg if you go for the recommendation in #4 to visit Museum of Docklands I suggest catching the driverless DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to get there. It’s a fascinating journey from old to new London. Then return on the riverbus.

He may be too old (I’m not and I’m a lot older) but I like visiting the dinosaurs at Crystal Palace.

The Tower of London is a fascinating place, as is the walk from there to London Bridge alongside the river.

I prefer Cambridge to Oxford. Both have colleges and wonderful architecture but only Cambridge has cows in the centre of town.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Thanks, been to Bath and Stonehedge with him 2 years ago and 3 years ago.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Thanks, normally I chose where we go, but he is always happy with the destination. York sounds good!

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
234 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Save

Some nice suggestions....thanks.

Reply to: Recommendations for day trips outside of London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.