We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Congestion ULEZ

Level Contributor
101 posts
Congestion ULEZ
Save

I'll be driving from manchester and staying in Reading the night. Sat morning. What is the best way cost effective way for me to get into London for the day to visit tourists sites. Basically central london.

If i drove into London my i would have to pay congestion and ulez and i know parking is expensive and traffic is heavy there.

Train from reading not an option says £25 one way.

So question is where could i drive to and park (potentially free or not a rip off) just outside the congestion and ulez zone, and then get the train or tube as i take it if i drive closer and then get public transport it'll work out cheaper

23 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

I’m seeing this Saturday Reading to London Paddington £21:90 RETURN, which is only 10p more expensive than a Single, where are you seeing £25 Single?

Journey time can be as little as 25-29 minutes on most services.

If you are only going for a day then I’m assuming if you need to return to Reading!

To me it’s a no brainer to take a train from Reading all the way.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
20,608 posts
276 reviews
149 helpful votes
2. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

Have a look at prices for return rail tickets. They’re often not much more than a single, for example for tomorrow (Saturday) there are return tickets at just over £30 (for peak hours).

Edited: 24 September 2021, 12:42
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

In fact, if you get an off peak Day Travelcard for £26:70, that also gives you unlimited travel on TfL Tube, bus and DLR whilst in London!

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
116 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

When I worked in Hammersmith, I used to use the Westfield Carpark, and it's actually cheaper than parking on street!

All you have to do is join their "Smart Parking" scheme (free) then the cost reduces from the daily tariff with a maximum charge of £15 for 14 - 24 hours £12 for 6 - 14 hours.

Then it's a short walk to Shepherd's Bush or White City Stations.

Edited: 24 September 2021, 12:49
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

Guys I’m using my trusty old ScotRail App and I’m seeing every train between Reading and Paddington at £21:90 Return.

Seems to be a train every 5-7 minutes! Who needs a timetable with a frequency like that?

Edited: 24 September 2021, 12:53
Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,455 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

The good train service from Reading to Paddington probably includes the slower stopping TfLRail services which run about every 10 minutes. Best to avoid these trains and go for the faster, and probably more comfortable, GWR services.

If it is this weekend then note that some routes have planned closures as per,

Central line Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 September

No service between Queensway and Ealing Broadway/West Ruislip

TfLRail services

Saturday 25 September

Reduced service between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington after 21:00

Sunday 26 September

No service between Paddington and Slough/Heathrow T5 until 12:00

Reduced service between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington after 12:00

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
108,533 posts
440 reviews
364 helpful votes
7. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

Traveller, please do not write off using the train. The £21.90 (without transport in London) or £26.70 (with it) returns should be very competitive, price wise, with the overall cost of driving when you include parking, and other charges.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
14,297 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

You are obviously missing the news with service stations running out of fuel. Use the train.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,062 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
9. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

As I said earlier, at 20 odd quid it’s a no brainer!

Different if it was a couple or a family, but solo.

Level Contributor
101 posts
10. Re: Congestion ULEZ
Save

Yeah your right i checked southern rail site now 21.90 return. I was using trainline when i checked. How much is it then to use the tubes from paddington to like oxford street / london eye

Reply to: Congestion ULEZ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.