We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
58 reviews
69 helpful votes
what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

Thanks in advance.

Planning a trip in the spring to London. My wife and I, late 50s , would like to be close enough to all the sites but very close to good food, fun pubs and shops. ( If you've been to NYC think the Village )

Basically we want to eat and drink like locals but be able to walk or taxi to be tourists. Is there a section of London where we should be looking?

Thanks again, all input appreciated.

32 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
66,342 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

'My wife and I, late 50s , would like to be close enough to all the sites but very close to good food, fun pubs and shops.' The first is impossible as sights and attractions are spread across London. The second is almost ubiquitous within central London (although I'm sceptical about what defines a 'fun' pub).

'walk or taxi to be tourists' Why taxis? London's transport options are numerous and inexpensive, although there may be times when a black cab or minicab will be useful to use.

What are your dates for next spring, and what is your budget per night in sterling? Are you looking for a hotel or a short stay flat?

Level Contributor
180 posts
2. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

<<<< would like to be close enough to all the sites >>>

Impossible ! They are spread over many square miles - but the excellent transport system - tube, rail, bus, - means they are all easily and quickly available.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

No there’s no one neighbourhood in London that’s close to all the sights. Central London is about 6 miles long, but if you include places like Hampton Court Palace and Greenwich it’s about 18 miles between them.

If you want to be like locals as well as walking and taxis don’t forget the Tube and buses .

Look at the TFL map of Tube lines anywhere in the centre where the yellow Central Line is or close to it is pretty good. Some people like South Kensington with the V&A museum, National History Museum, Royal Albert Hall close by and plenty of cafés and restaurants. Others Bloomsbury or around Kings Cross with its recent gentrification.

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

As one of the world’s oldest decentralised cities, you don’t have a chance of getting such a place. However the advice to stay near the Central Line is good as it links a good number of the main sights and offers direct connections to others.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
5. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

I'd start my search with Bloomsbury / Holborn if I were you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
148 reviews
75 helpful votes
6. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

The Circle line is yellow, Central red. Note: we call the lines by their names not colours.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
19,083 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
7. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

Here's a schematic of many of the most popular sights in central London; nearly 6 miles E to W.

https://www.tripindicator.com/images/compare/attraction-map/london_tourist_map.jpg

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
51 reviews
56 helpful votes
8. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

Covent Garden would be a good central area to investigate and a bit more lively than bloomsbury IMO.

To eat and drink like a local would mean you would need to go.to work during the day in order to fully enjoy it!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia
Level Contributor
7,625 posts
336 reviews
179 helpful votes
9. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

The closest London has to The Village in NYC is , I would say, probably Soho ( not like Soho in NYC!) . Location wise it is pretty easy to access most of London’s sites. Borders onto Covent Garden which is another option.

Eating and drinking "like locals " is pretty difficult in central London as there are comparatively few "locals" for that you need to head out from the centre.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
109 reviews
121 helpful votes
10. Re: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Save

There isn't such a place in London - the sights/attractions are spread over a wide area. This doesn't matter as London's public transport is so extensive that if you stay within the bounds of the Circle (yellow) tube line, you'll be able to reach the tourist sites quickly & easily. The tube will probably be quicker than a taxi too! Covent Garden is pretty lively with pubs, bars & restaurants or look at the South Bank.

I doubt you will be eating like locals - most locals will usually take their meals at home.

Reply to: what's my neighborhood? (neighbourhood?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.