We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or bus help?

Durham, United...
1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
Taxi or bus help?
Save

I am visiting London with my daughter and elderly parents. They will struggle with using the tube so will need to rely on taxis or the bus. Are the black cabs expensive or would it be be cheaper using Uber? First journey would be from Kings Cross to our hotel at Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park. Grateful for any advice.

12 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
1. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

On arrival with luggage, black cab from station to hotel.

Thereafter, bus is best.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
349 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

Keep in mind that the busses are cashless so you will need an Oyster card or a contactless bank card each.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
8 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

If your elderly parents have bus passes issued in England they can use them on the buses in London and without any time restrictions they may have at home.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia
Level Contributor
7,625 posts
336 reviews
179 helpful votes
4. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

IME most of the time, Uber would be cheaper than a black cab. That said a black cab from KC to your hotel would be the way to go. Buses are remarkably easy to use with or without a bus pass. Unlike the tube you have the added benefit of seeing something of London between destinations.

Back to the station for your return trip, I would go with Uber. Worth downloading the TFL app and set it for accessible options for other journeys - it just may be that some journeys could be possible with step free access at stations etc.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
117 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

If either of your parents are in a wheelchair, Uber will not be suitable, but Buses and Black Cabs have a ramp for wheelchairs.

If you must use an app, the Black Cab version of Uber is called "Gett" and doesn't have surge pricing.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
6. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

"If either of your parents are in a wheelchair, Uber will not be suitable,"

Not the case. Uber offer services called Uber Access and Uber Assist for people with additional needs including those with wheelchairs.

However, the OP may (or may not) find it just as difficult to find an Uber driver prepared to take the ride on as they would a black cab.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

Map of useful bus routes:

https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/visitors-and-tourists

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
117 reviews
65 helpful votes
8. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

All I can say is that I've never seen an Uber in London that can get a wheelchair in, and a lot of Black Cabs picking up wheelchair users, so I'll take your comment with a large pinch of salt!

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
148 reviews
75 helpful votes
9. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

You might want to also download Bolt or Free Now as an Uber alternative. Uber are having a massive shortage of drivers at the moment and seem to be on permanent surge.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
31,914 posts
357 reviews
1,164 helpful votes
10. Re: Taxi or bus help?
Save

“ All I can say is that I've never seen an Uber in London that can get a wheelchair in, and a lot of Black Cabs picking up wheelchair users, so I'll take your comment with a large pinch of salt!”

—-

Never seeing something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Uber do have wheelchair accessible cars in the London area.

https://www.uber.com/gb/en/ride/uberwav/

Reply to: Taxi or bus help?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.