We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Advice Needed

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
27 helpful votes
Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Hello, we have booked and rebooked our trip to London and are finally planning to come at the end of June 2022. We are a family of five with three grown teenagers. I had booked an apartment in the Westminster neighborhood but it got canceled on me due to a date change and is now no longer available. I was hoping to stay in a location that is at least walkable to a few of the major sites - such as Westminster, Covent Garden or Mayfair however with needing lodging for five people, that means we either need two hotel rooms or something larger than a one-bedroom apartment and the prices have skyrocketed! I was hoping to stay within the $400-500 range including taxes for the four nights were are in London and just not finding much that would comfortably sleep all of us in the areas mentioned above (that is not run down, sketchy, moldy showers, gross carpet,etc...prefer something updated; plus larger than double beds as it's a challenge for two grown teenage boys to share a small bed!). I've checked AIRBNB, VRBO and hotels.com with no luck.

So... wondering what I should do? Are there other areas that I should investigate that would be more reasonably priced, sleeps all five of us? I really don't know much about the other neighborhoods besides those mentioned above. I appreciate the advice!

43 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
24,194 posts
637 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Can you expand on"3 grown teenagers" some (or even all) may be classed as Adults 16 is a common age to exceed "child" status. (indeed some of yours may legally be adults, age 18 is a magic number in UK)

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

19, 16, 13 are there ages.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Your budget in GBP works out to less than £100 per night, which sounds low to me for a 2+ bedroom short let in a desirable central location. You might struggle to pay that little for a long term rental, let alone a holiday rental.

I suspect the much cheaper prices you were seeing were due to the impact of reduced numbers of tourists during the pandemic and now things are returning to something approaching normal.

So you will need to decide if you can stretch your budget or can live with something a bit less central. Yes, there are plenty of neighbourhoods that are nice outside the centre, but there is the usual tradeoff between affordability and distance from the centre.

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
574 reviews
264 helpful votes
4. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

You are going to struggle to find accommodation at $500 which is around £93 per night X 4 nights in London. Even looking at 2 Premier Inn rooms in London that would be unlikely, all prices will include taxes in UK.

You may have to cut down number of nights in London to meet your budget, then perhaps look some where outside London for other nights where you may find accommodation within your budget.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
26,645 posts
80 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

That budget is hopelessly unrealistic even pre/no civic.

I'd say for 5 you need to allow nearer £200 per night minimum probably more.

Edited: 22 October 2021, 01:06
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
26,645 posts
80 reviews
131 helpful votes
6. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

That's pre COVID btw. You'd think phones would know that by now......☹

Edited: 22 October 2021, 01:09
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
49,850 posts
67 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Now we have most if the UK popation captive in their own country plus tourists from abroad the cost of holiday accommodation is high because they can.

Demand now exceeds supply.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
49,850 posts
67 reviews
119 helpful votes
8. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Now we have most if the UK popation captive in their own country plus tourists from abroad the cost of holiday accommodation is high because they can.

Demand now exceeds supply.

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
19 reviews
27 helpful votes
9. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Oh goodness! I am looking for accommodations at approximately 500 USD per NIGHT (incl taxes). Not for all four nights. I’m wondering if that will help with suggestions?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
38,033 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
10. Re: Lodging Advice Needed
Save

Based on what some of my nieces and nephews are having to pay for longer term rentals in the residential 'burbs of London, that's a very unrealistic budget - unless it was mean to be per night. Plus, you really don't want to be staying where they are living for a short trip.

The 19 year old will be classed an adult for everything. Even the 16 year old is not considered a child for entry is several places nor the 13 year old in some situations. Also, given their ages, then smaller/murphy bed type set ups is not going to work for you.

SWT

Reply to: Lodging Advice Needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.