We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

The prices seem very high right now, from what I've paid for rail in Britain before, and suggested by MiS61. Dates are less than 12 weeks away. Is this the new covid normal or am I missing something? Trying to go London to Edinburgh Dec 30 and Edinburgh to Bath Jan 3 or 4. Is it because of the holidays? Just trying to figure out if I should just buy the ticket already or some reason to wait. Even the new Lumo train is much more than expected. I was able to book advance price tickets for Bath to London (somehow) to travel in Jan a few weeks ago. I am confused about that too, was way ahead of 12 weeks but price was about as low as I've ever booked. Anyways, anyone with train ticket knowledge, any insight would be appreciated.

26 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,389 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

You hit on the nail! Holidays!

The most popular time for people to get home to family or relatives.

As for Lumo, on launch of their service yesterday I had a wee dummy run on their website and fares were not the £20 they were pushing as their USP

I’d also say their website was hard work!

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
117 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

The cheapest "advance" fares are usually released about 3 months before the travel date. I recently (August) got Standard Class tickets on LNER from London to Edinburgh for £76 each way. It is entirely possible that they were all snapped up quickly by folks heading to Scotland for the Hogmany celebrations.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,389 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

Where are you looking?

I’ve just checked my trusty ScotRail App and I’m seeing Kings Cross to Waverley that day for as little as £35 single!

And that’s not just one train, that’s several!

If you think that’s expensive, wow!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
15 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

i can see Advance fares from London to Edinburgh for £42.90 (Lumo) and return on Jan 4th to Bath for £64.50 (9am) via London. That strikes me as typical cheap fares. Are you able to use a Railcard - for example 2 together, that would save 30%?

And as said the new year weekend is a major holiday in Scotland!

On the other hand the Fares don't seem much cheaper at other dates (e.g. Mid December).

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
20,389 posts
14 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

Correction to my last, I hadn’t realised I had a Railcard ticked, that should read £53 is the lowest I see.

Still think £53 is reasonable!

Edited: 23 October 2021, 00:17
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
29 reviews
21 helpful votes
6. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

Usually it’s better to book when the advance tickets are showing. Currently £53 to Edinburgh or saving around £20 if you have a rail card? It could be the time of year is a peak period so I think I would just book as once the advance tickets are sold the price will increase.

7. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2021, 07:47

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

There is a combination if things going on here.

1. Yes, it's New Year!!

2. Arriva Cross Country who operate the direct (and not that comfortable) trains from Edinburgh to Bristol (local connection to Bath) haven't released their Advance tickets, if they do the £92 would seem to be the target.

3. There is no Advance through ticket price for the marginally slower route from Edinburgh to Birmingham, to catch a Bristol train there. This route, using two tickets split at Birmingham, could turn out to be cheaper but Avanti have also not released Advance tickets yet. The 12 week rule has slipped during the pandemic because planning 12 weeks ahead isn't that easy. If you can catch the system at the right time then £70 would be a target.

Edited: 23 October 2021, 01:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,054 posts
404 reviews
150 helpful votes
9. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

NYE in Edinburgh is a big deal and you want to travel their two days before the festivities. That's reflected in the pricing of the tickets. In addition, it's holiday time so ticket prices are likely to be higher.

Are you travelling with someone? You should consider getting a railcard (Two Together), as the savings from the trip to Edinburgh may well outweigh the cost of the railcard.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
28,883 posts
74 reviews
124 helpful votes
10. Re: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Save

"Arriva Cross Country who operate the direct (and not that comfortable) trains..."

A few weeks ago we went from York to Darlington on a CrossCountry Voyager, and several hours later went from Darlington to Newcastle on an LNER Azuma.

Guess which train the three of us thought was more comfortable? Well it wasn't the Azuma!

Reply to: Rail ticket prices London to Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.