We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid test to fly home to U S A??

9 posts
Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

Hello

It is now necessary to provide a negative Covid test taken at least 72 hours before boarding a flight back to the USA

Which type of test is accepted: lateral or viral or are both acceptable ?

Where might I get such a test kit in London?

Thanks

Steve

21 replies to this topic
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire, London
Level Contributor
24,194 posts
637 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

“Which type of test is accepted:”

This is a US question not a U.K. question? What does the US government say?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,722 posts
71 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

I have used the lateral flow test at Boots to enter the US twice this year. Self-administered lateral flow tests must be approved by the FDA, so it would probably be easier to obtain such a kit before leaving home. The Boots test (book online, selected locations only) is administered by the pharmacist and is therefore accepted by the US authorities.

9 posts
3. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

Thanks people

Interesting responses because after researching the type of acceptable Covid test on the US government website it sats NO to the lateral test but will accept the viral test , which I think is the PCR test ( hope my letters are correct) but a definite NO to the lateral test

Oh well, I will have to keep life but nice to know Boots has the test or might do the test in their pharmacy

Steve…..vacation travel is still up in the air( literally and figuratively)

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
20 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

Steve, a lateral flow test is the same as an antigen test. There are quite a few available options. We bought the Abbot Binax Now test in the US to take with us in our luggage. Our test-taking will be proctored online at the appropriate time. It worked for us in August and it will work again next month. It may be worth buying an extra test or two, as things can sometimes go wrong with these tests.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

on the US government website it sats NO to the lateral test but will accept the viral test , which I think is the PCR test ( hope my letters are correct) but a definite NO to the lateral test

--

Can you post a link to this please? ALL tests for covid are viral tests so I suspect you've misread something. Aside from that, US residents who I know personally have used supervised rapid antigen/lateral flow test to re-enter the USA, without issue.

9 posts
6. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

I’m sorry.

I spent the last 90 minutes trying to find a site where I read that about the lateral flow test so that I could post the link on this website.

I have no luck. However, I will keep trying to find it.

I do know they mentioned the PCR test as one test to take and of course they wanted it to be a viral antigen test and I really had no idea that the lateral flow is also a viral antigen test. When I tried to research it a lateral test. is never mentioned and so I never realized that a lateral test is a viral test. As a matter of fact when they say viral antigen test they say something about NAAT test and a PCR test but the lateral is never mentioned. That is why I’m trying to find it.

Again thanks for your help

Steve

United States
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
7. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
8. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

So, I know that the supervised BinaxNow rapid antigen test, a lateral flow test, is accepted by the US authorities. You can get them at Walgreen's. Someone I know did one this morning for return to the USA, they send you a PDF or something certifying the result.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
95 reviews
84 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

The Abbot Binax Now has 2 versions and only the one version is accepted. They are out of stock for these pretty much everywhere and even at Abbot they are still showing out of stock.

Best is to just try a Boots or even the same location you got the Day 2 test from when you first arrived in the UK.

And yes the US accepts the lateral flow (Antigen) tests, but I think maybe the confusion is that it has to be an official approved test which the one Abbot Binax version (out of stock) is, but the other one is a self home test as well which is not approved.

I have the non approved Abbot test that the state was send out for free by mail, but I had to do some research to find out that, it didn't qualify unfortunatley and I think that's the only one you can find currently. ..

Edited: 26 October 2021, 01:27
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
66,342 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Save

Both Randox https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/ and DAM https://www.dam-health.com/ offer pre-departure (and day zero to two arrival) lateral flow testing in their clinics.

Randox have clinics in Upper Ground, near Waterloo station, and DAM have a handful of clinics across London with the King's Cross location less than five minutes' walk from the station, in Pentonville Road just east of the junction with Caledonian Road.

I prefer an in clinic test to let someone else deal with the logistics of the process; YMMV.

Reply to: Covid test to fly home to U S A??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.