We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Tube tickets?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Hi guys,

I'm travelling to London for a weekend starting Friday 23rd of Jan and was wondering if there is a 3 day tube ticket I can purchase when I arrive in one of the tube stations to see me through the 6 zones ( for all my sight seeing! )??? I know I can get 1 day 6 zone tickets for around £7 but just trying to save a bit of money in these credit crunch times!!

Cheers!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx

The 3-day paper travelcard still exists and can be Peak or Off-Peak (OP will be a few pounds cheaper). I think you can specify which zones, within limits. However, a prepaid Oyster card may still be cheaper because of daily price capping.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
66,158 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

If you're arriving at LHR on a Friday and flying back from LHR on a Sunday, then you may be best off buying a three day Travelcard for zones 1 - 6. A three day card for off peak travel (you must start your journey on Friday after 0930, but can travel at any time on Saturday and Sunday) will cost £21.20.

A one day off peak Travelcard for zones 1 - 6 (again, presuming you're flying to LHR) costs £7.50. A one day zones 1 and 2 Travelcard for Saturday costs £5.60; again you'd pay £7.50 if you wanted to do a bit of sightseeing on Sunday before leaving London, buying a zones 1-6 card. Total cost £20.60, so not a huge difference there.

You can buy three day Travelcards at any of the Underground stations at LHR; cards are good for unlimited use on the Underground, DLR, London Overground, National Rail and bus services.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
66,158 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Sorry, forgot about PAYG on Oyster. The daily cap for off peak travel in zones 1 - 6 is £7 and for travel in zones 1 and 2 £5.10. Depending on how much you use the Underground or buses on Sunday before heading to LHR, you may pay less than £7; eg, two Tube trips in zone 1 at £1.60 each plus a bus ride at £1 plus one journey to LHR at £2.20 ~> £6.40.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
93 reviews
58 helpful votes
4. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Don't forget that Oyster PAYG is generally not accepted on National Rail services.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,125 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
5. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Fares went up today and a one day all zones card is now £7.50 :-(

There is a three day Travelcard. For travel after 9.30am (and all day at weekends) the cost for an all zones card is £21.20 and this would I think be your best bet if you were flying into Heathrow and using the tube to get to central London even though the vast majority of London attractions lie in zones 1&2.

However if you are flying into another airport you would need to pay the train or bus fare separately and then buy a Travelcard once you are in town. In that case I would buy three one day zones 1&2 Travelcards costing £5.60.

In you are planning to come back then you could also consider getting an Oyster Card and loading it with some Pay As You Go. This will save you at least 50 pence a day but there is a £3 deposit hence the need to reuse it some time in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
6. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm actually flying into Gatwick at 2.30pm on Friday and flying back out on Sunday @ 10pm so from the responses I've gotten it looks like I wouldn't be saving much by getting a 3 day ticket. I think I'll just stick with the single tickets and maybe not have that overpriced coffee in Starbucks!! Another quick question of this topic if you wouldn't mind. We're going to be staying in the Holiday Inn in Kensington and was just wondering if there is an alternative method to getting into London rather than the Gatwick Express?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
36,745 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

Tske the Southern Trains - em - train to Victoria, then Tube to Gloucester Road

DON'T buy single tickets for the Tube unless that is going to be the only trip of the day.

You could BTW get a bus only travelcard which used to be £3.50 per day but covered all of London but if you are with a friend then it's almost certain that a PAPER travelcard bought at Victoria Station TRAIN booking office will be cheaper overall as it allows you to use the 2-4-1 offers on www.daysoutguide.com

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
47,125 posts
51 reviews
76 helpful votes
8. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?
Save

The Southern train that Alan mentions above takes the same route as The Gatwick Express but stops at a couple of stations en route so takes maybe 8-10 minutes longer but at about 3/4 of the price.

At Victoria just follow the signs for the tube. The tube ticket office is a temporary affair located immediately outside the train station. Buy your Travelcard there and then follow signs for the Circle & District line westbound. Any train will get you to Gloucester Road in about 6-7 minutes. Turn left out of the tube and left again into Cromwell Road crossing at the lights. The hotel is immediately on the right...unless of course you are at the HI Kensington Forum which is the high rise building almost opposite.

9. Re: Weekend Tube tickets?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 18:19
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.