We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
52 reviews
54 helpful votes
Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

Our family is visiting England this summer and I have suddenly realized that my daughter's passport expires next February. When we arrive in England it will still have more than six months validity but this validity will be less than six months when we fly home.

Can anyone tell me whether or not England requires the minimum six month passport validity?

Thanks

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
1. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

Well I've scoured http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and been unable to find anything that specifies a minimum validity.

Maybe worth contacting the BHC in Ottawa to be sure.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
36,738 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

UK (note not England) requires you to have a passport that is valid on the last day of your trip.

What the airline will require is a different question...

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
49 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

Speaking as a Uk Policeman with some Immigration connections, and also speaking from a purely practical point of view, it depends on what age your daughter is. If she is in her teens or below (i.e. still of dependant age) and a Canadian citizen then you won't have any problems at immigration in the UK if she is with you. The UK immigration service isn't too interested in holding up a family that has (say) a 16 year old whose passport expires long after the visit does. They'll just want to know where you are staying, and for how long.

Of course, the airlines may still insist on 6 months validity, and they'll say it's to comply with UK Immigration. I would say, if in doubt, get the passport renewed. It will at least save headaches with the airline.

If it's not possible, I'd still say you're okay as a family unit, as long as it's borderline.

Being a Commonwealth citizen, you're not high on the list of threats to the UK. (!) So my colleagues at Immigration tell me that you'll be fine... but do keep the airline sweet if you can.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
36,738 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

<<< Being a Commonwealth citizen, you're not high on the list of threats to the UK. >>>

According to Flyertalk there is a problem with people coming from Canada and claiming asylum

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,899 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

From what Alan? Snow?

I agree that your problem will be the airline rather than UK Immigration. Most countries require at least 6 months remaining on a passport for a visa but don't say whether that is 6 months from arriving or leaving, but airlines may not let you board the plane with less than 6 months remaing. G

oing home could be a problem. All it takes is one jobsworth airline employee to make you miss a flight and ruin your holiday. If you are going over to Paris for a few days during your trip here, you could run into difficulties entering France.

Unless your daughter will never leave Canada again, she will need to renew her passport anyway and doing so a few months earlier to avoid the (small) risk of hassle and delay, IMO, would be worth it. It would also save her the embarassment of, if she is a teenager now, having a very out of date photograph.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
6. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

Out of curiosity, I looked. I can find nothing on the UK border agency's website about the length of time a passport needs to be valid after entry to the country.

If in doubt, then renew the passport in question as you still have plenty of time to do so.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/travellingtotheuk/Enteringtheuk/arrivingatukborder/noteeaorswiss/

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
7. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

Any 'proper' airline should know the rules and allow travel. By 'proper' I mean one that isn't just an offshoot of a package tour company.

Problems with UK immigration (for young Canadians) are more about being thought likely to overstay than with passports - travelling in a family group will allay that suspicion.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
203 reviews
100 helpful votes
8. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England
Save

In my experience the six month rule usually applies from the departure date,I have no idea how strictly anybody enforces it,probably not worth taking a risk tho.

9. Re: Passport validity of six months minimum for visiting England

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 12:24
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.