We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

I'm trying to decide on a hotel for my upcoming three night stay. I've been to London over a dozen times, so I'm not a rank newbie.

I've stayed in a wide variety of locations, including a few nights at the Dorchester 8 years ago. From what I remember of this area is that it's quite nice (of course) but a bit far from the "action" - rather quiet.

I'm not a club-goer. When I visit London I like to visit historical sites and museums, shop, take tons of photos (amateur photographer) and go on London Walks - you know, regular sightseeing. I also prefer to walk if the weather is fine - in other words being close to the things I want to visit is important. I like Bloomsbury and Covent Garden areas for that reason.

All that said, I'm all for staying in a different part of town than I usually do, as long as I've got local things nailed down ahead of time to visit. What sites of interest, including shopping, are there within, say, a one/two mile walk?

If it helps, I plan to visit Kenwood House on this visit, go on at least one London Walk, perhaps re-visit Greenwich, visit Getty Images Gallery, and probably Natl Gallery (again) and Natl Portrait Gallery (again).

Thanks!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Your title asks for one thing - things to do/see/eat around a particular hotel, but your message asks for something quite different, a hotel suggestion. If it's the latter, you might be better off posting again with a different heading and specifying budget, how many people, what kinds of hotel you are looking for (full service hotel; small hotel/B&B etc).

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

I don't understand your point.

If your candidate visiting list is Greenwich, Kenwood and a few galleries, Mayfair is exactly as convenient as Bloomsbury. Neither Kenwood nor Greenwich are easily walkable from the centre for most people: the galleries are just as walkable to from Mayfair as from Bloomsbury and only half a mile of so further from Mayfair than from Covent Garden.

What's within a mile or two walk of Mayfair? Just about every shop and site of interest in central London apart from the Tower.

Though the dismal tourist ghetto along Gloucester Road is a bit out of things, there's really little to choose between any other location inside the Circle Line as far as proximity to interesting places is concerned. London's so big, nowhere's convenient for everywhere: the transport system (and most people's ability to walk) means nowhere in the centre's inconvenient either.

Just pick a hotel at random within your price bracket, then stop fretting over trivia and put your mind to what you're going to do with your time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

The restaurants around Grosvenor house are all in the very expensive bracket, although the lunch menu at Gordon Ramsays Maze restaurant is amazing value. I stayed there last December and while it's a very quiet area and only about a 5 minute walk to Marble Arch I still prefer the piccadilly area to stay in. A good choice could be the Meridien it's around the same price as the Grosvenor.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Actually, my message doesn't ask for a hotel suggestion at all.

I had already reserved the JW Marriott before I posted, but was trying to decide if I'd be happy with that location. I've no doubt it's a nice hotel. I've stayed in the Dorchester before and remember leaving the area each day to sightsee rather than sticking close by as it was rather quiet. On this trip, I'd rather spend some time near my "home away from home".

I probably shouldn't have queried about shopping b/c I usually target unique museums I haven't already visited and just kind of fall into shopping if/as it happens. I'm well aware Mayfair has the shops.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

You say "Actually, my message doesn't ask for a hotel suggestion at all", but the first line of your message is "I'm trying to decide on a hotel for my upcoming three night stay". I think quite reasonably people have interpreted that as a request for hotel suggestions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Hi

Nope, I had just clicked "reserve" and as usual had immediate buyer's remorse (it's my process!). Sorry for the confusion - I didn't want to make the post wordier than it already was.

It's a GREAT hotel - but will I find myself packing up and leaving the area every morning? (my lists of things I plan to do are likewise in flux and will remain so until I arrive - Kenwood House is the only thing I'm sure to seek out as I've not visited there before. I just have old favorites to visit, too).

Maybe a better way to put it is this:

If you were to spend, say, half a day in the immediate area, what unique things to see/do would you seek out, and where would you be sure to lunch? I like the Gordon Ramsay suggestion. Maybe a mile radius is too much to ask - how about half a mile radius. If I'm going to stay there, I'd like to get to know the neighborhood a little. I just remember it was sooo quiet. Pretty, stately, elegant, lovely, etc etc - but I didn't sightsee locally. I visited Number 1 London (Duke of Wellington's home) which as I recall wasn't too terribly far off, but that is about it.

Thanks!

Southwest Norway
Level Contributor
225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Have you been to The Wallace Collection?

http://www.wallacecollection.org/

That is a gem of a museum. A superb collection in a beautiful setting in Hertford House.

It is located at Manchester Square, only 5 min walk behind Selfridges at Oxford Street. It should not be too far to walk from your hotel.

You did not ask for suggestions for where to eat, but

The Wallace Restaurant in the atrium can be considered. As can Richoux in South Audley Street, close to your hotel.

http://www.richoux.co.uk/mayfair.php

Have a nice time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

The set lunch at Le Gavroche is considered to be a serious bargain and is very close indeed (3 minutes walk?)

Less than a mile will take you to the Royal Academy and of course you are well placed for Hyde Park.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

Mayfair isn't the most exciting part of town to stay in, as I'm sure you have gathered. You probably will venture further afield most days, but you could take a stroll to Shepherds Market for an evening;

http://shepherdmarket.co.uk/index.htm

If I was staying there, I would be tempted to take a nice long hike through Hyde Park to Bayswater and Notting Hill. You can always jump on the 148 bus for the return journey.

10. Re: Things to do/see/eat nearish to Grosvenor House/JW Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 12:17