We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

I am travelling in June 2010 to London for 5 nights with 2x 19 yo girls and my husband 40-50 yo. We enjoy night life, pubs, music, good casual dining, most holiday activities. We do not know whether to stay in a 2bed apartment in City Chancery Lane or new Earl's court apartment which is much cheaper but I gather around 15 trip to Central London - is this distance a factor or will we still have to travel by Tube etc from Chancery Lane to get to attractions, shopping etc. I also wonder if there are any grocery type shops (affordable) in central London or again if Earl's ct would be better.

After 5 nights in London we will head off by car for a tour of UK limited time so need to see highlights to Edinburgh, and then down to Barcelona Cruise for 7 nights and Paris 5 nights.

Any suggestions?

Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Covent Garden
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Maltby Street Market
Flea & Street Markets
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Have you got links to the two flats? Please and thank you.

There are grocery shops along High Holborn for Chancery Lane: a newish M&S Simply Foods near the Underground station, a small Sainsbury's Local just west of Holborn Circus, another Sainsbury's Local at the juncion of Kingsway and High Holborn (across from the Underground station), a big Sainsbury's Central on Tottenham Court Road just north of Oxford Street and a wonderful Waitrose at Brunswick Centre, a short bus ride away.

Travel time really depends on the locations of the flats, with plenty of buses along High Holborn, Southampton Row, Kingsway and Gray's Inn Road; travel from Earl's Court isn't too bad though, as the Piccadilly and District lines are good'uns.

Are you planning to drive from Scotland back to London then take Eurostar to Paris or fly from EDI to CDG? If the latter then Air France is the only option with nonstop service, but whether or not AF will still offer that service next year is yet to be seen. If you want to take Eurostar from London to Paris, you may book from 12 weeks in advance of travel. Consider as well the very pleasant trenhotel service from Paris to Barcelona - have a look at www.seat61.com for info about rail travel within Europe.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Until recently I used to work in the Chancery Lane area (the old Pru building).

For me the only thing going for it is its location - not that there is anything there at all (especially at weekends) but it's in Mid-town close to both the City and West End (walking distance to Covent Garden).

Earls Court isn't far out at all and has a far greater atmosphere and vibe. If it's significantly cheaper then I'd go for Earls Court every time.

As TP says it depends on the exact location of the apartments. They may be a distance from the tube stations which may slightly affect my opinion.

I may be a grumpy old git in not liking the Chancery Lane area but in the 5 years I worked there it never really appealed to me. It's not far from Smithfield I guess but that's the only thing going for it :-)

In either location there is not a shortage of supermarkets.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Wherever you stay, you'll have to use the tube/bus to get around to see attractions as they are not all together.

I agree with the comments about Chancery lane being a bit dull, but then Earls Court is a bit scruffy.

I would choose Chancery Lane, as it is so much more central, and right beside some historic parts of London like the Royal Courts of Justice, Middle Temple, Fleet St, St pauls, Lincolns Inn, Smithfield (also good for pubs, restos, clubs), and only 10 minutes walk to Covent Garden and the River Thames.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

>>but then Earls Court is a bit scruffy.<<

I was just there, staying at base2stay a couple of blocks from EC station, and was pleasantly surprised by how overall un-scruffy it was. As someone said in reviewing that hotel on TA recently, it's an interesting neighborhood - go down one street and you're seeing vistas of million-dollar flats, turn the other direction and it's a less renovated block.

So I'm posting to say, emphasize the "bit" and don't fixate on the "scruffy." Earl's Court Road in the area of the station is usually bustling, locals and tourists of all ages, it's not high-end boutique land but a place to get a meal, buy food and necessaries, do some banking and get on with life.

If you are looking at the new Presidential Kensington short-stay apartments on Barkston Gardens, I walked by that place frequently earlier this month, and it just gleams on the outside. I'd love to hear first-hand reviews of it and so far there's only one review on TA. It's at the end of a block of older small hotels/B&Bs and I doubt any of them have been recently and thoroughly renovated like it has. It's around the corner form the hotel where I stayed and IMO you can't beat the location. I was a single woman and felt perfectly comfortable being out and about in the area.

As others have said, you will need to take tube or bus to get to attractions and shopping no matter where you stay.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,056 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Just to clarify -

Chancery Lane - 'dull'- because it is mainly offices, and gets quiet outside normal office hours. Nothing wrong in that, as there are lively places within 10 minutes.

Earl's Court - 'bit scruffy' - just the same as 30 other similar High Streets in different London boroughs. The main attractions of EC are the large number of reasonably-priced hotel beds and the good transport links. Otherwise, there's little reason to go there, per se.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

Well said, peterscot.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

I've tried both places recently. I like both locations. If, however, I were travelling with 2 x 19 yo girls (and I was placing their interests before my own), I think I would plump for Earl's Court. It just has a more studenty vibe to it. And there are some great restaurants in the Earl's Court area. Absolute paradise if you like curries and other exotic dishes. So, on balance, I think I would just about opt for Earl's Court. Bear in mind also that the tube connection from Earl's Court to the West End is quite rapid.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

I really enjoyed Earl's Court when I stayed there a few years back and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. I thought it to be very convenient and in no way did I ever feel it was unusually gritty.

london
Level Contributor
86 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

To be frank Earls Court is dingy. Chancery Lane isn't and within a 10 minute walk you are in the West End or Covent garden with all that 2 x19 year olds could wish for.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earl's Court or Chancery Lane

The Earl's Court Road is certainly a busy street, and because of the shops, services, restos and cafes along its length beween Cromwell Road and Old Brompton Road it does not look its best after a long day.

But Courtfield Gardens - home of base2stay - Nevern Square and some of the other roads and streets in the area are the antithesis of dingy, rather more the oppo, at least in my experience. There are some slightly down at heel hotels, but a minute's walk away are houses and flats that can be considered very much des res.

It really does depend on location in SW5 as well as the meander east to SW7 and north to W8.