We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

Hi

I'm planning a weekend in London with some family members and my 6 year old son and 10 year old nephew in December. We've got tickets to see Oliver! on Saturday afternoon, and we'd like to plan something for the rest of the weekend.

We arrive at Euston about 4.30pm Friday 4th Dec, and will leave there at 12 noon on Sun 6th Dec. I haven't booked a hotel yet, and some advice on that woud also be handy if anyone has any ideas please? My sister lives in the Balham area, and will be meeting up with us - I'm undecided if we should try and book somewhere close to her or go more central.

Will there be any Christmassy things going on anywhere that weekend? Iceskating/markets/christmas lights?

Thanks

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

For hotels why don't you try the chains like travelodge, travel inn, holiday inn express or Novotel? they will all be clean and comfortable, en-suite plus they will normally accomodate 4 per room so ideal for your average-sized family. Novotels are slightly more luxurious than the others (they often have a hotel pool, for example)but you can get a reasonably central one for £99 per night per room during that period. Since you will be out and about all the time, it won't be worth spending money on luxury facilities you won't use. There are plenty of these clustered around the centre, even if not quite slap bang in it, and they would be preferable to staying in Balham!

My kids have always preferred Harrods to Hamleys, there's more to see (the Food hall and pets department as well as an enormous toy department) and we've always found Hamleys too crowded - they've often come out complaining that there is nothing in there they actually want since the premises are too cramped for you to get a good look at things. Plus Harrods always has those insanely excessive things that you don't really want but nonetheless make you say "wow" - like a £10,000 tree house with tree attached or a transparent piano with gold-plated keys. It's fun to plan what you wouldn't want to buy if you won the lottery.

Just a note re ice skating - you won't get wet when you fall over but it's very important you wear gloves (preferably ski-type gloves with a padded back) because if you do fall over and have your hands on the ice there is always a risk someone may skate over them by accident (those rinks are always crowded with people most of whom have limited control over where they are going) which can cause nasty cuts requiring hospital treatment. Gloves and some kind of padded jacket will save you a lot of pain if you are as bad at skating as I am!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

Saturday morning - squeeze in a visit to Covent Garden market. Children usually like the buskers on both the west and east sides of the market, and there is also a roundabout on the east side for the young one.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

Not forgetting the German Market on the South Bank, if you have time to squeeze it in!

www.xmas-markets.com/en/index.php…

14. Re: Christmassy weekend in London with 6 year old? Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 12:18