We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Agencies

Brampton
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Agencies

We're going to need to rent a VAN for our trip.

Is anyone familiar with Easycar?

The other one I was looking at is 121carhire

The reviews on the web are not very flattering...

Any suggestions for "discounted" car rentals that are "on the up and up"?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Just to be totally sure, do you really want a van? It's just that I think it means something different in the UK from other parts of the world such as North America. So you want a vehicle with seats probably for two people only and a big space behind for furniture, goods etc.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Oops, also meant to say that I've rented cars (not vans) successfully from Easycar, but you do have to be very careful (I think you have to be careful with all car rentals to be honest). Things to bear in mind: their rental offices are often in less convenient places (e.g. a long way from airport terminals and no nice minibuses to transfer you to and from the airport); they often have few staff, so you can wait a long time to pick up a vehicle; their vehicles are really, really basic; they have a reputation for spotting every little nick and dent on a vehicle and charging for it, but I think all rental agencies do that.

I've rented from them a number of times very happily when I've needed a car that I'm not going to drive very much. I wouldn't rent from them if I were touring around, as I don't think their cars are comfortable enough.

I've also rented successfully with Enterprise, and I think they are cheap (my current employer has a contract with them, so we get a special rate, and I'm not sure about their public rates). They also have out of the way offices, but seem ready to come and pick you up, which Easycar would never do.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Gozogirl,

Different terminology in the UK, a VAN is for transporting goods:

themotorreport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/200…

Minibus or people carrier for transporting people.

freewebs.com/heathrowminibushire/merc%20mini…

www.londonairportdirect.co.uk/images/mpv.jpg

Regards.

London
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Assuming that you meant the type of vehicle we would call a 'people carrier', be aware that these are expensive to rent over here. I've never understood the logic on this - but they are.

It is usually cheaper to hire two 'compact' size cars than it is to hire a single 'people carrier'

As to the best price? There just isn't a simple answer. You need to work the keyboard and get lots of quotes. The deals vary week to week and location to location. Remember that you won't get automatic transmission unless you spefically order it.

Easycar used to have their own cars, but they are now just a broker for other car hire firms.

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Agencies

You really do need to specify locations, duration and exact requirements to get a decent answer from us lot..

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Agencies

I stand to be corrected but Im not sure 1-2-1 car operate in the UK anymore. My apologies if they do.

While we all like a bargain, for "discounted" Im reading cheap, personally I would pay a bit more and go with one of the larger (reputable ) car rental companies.

Brampton
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Hi again,

thanks so much for all of your input and, you're absolutely right! I should have been more specific in my requirements...

We definately need a "people carrier"?...we are 4 adults travelling together meeting up with relatives in the UK. Our very first trip to England and we thought it would be much nicer to have everyone in the same vehicle.

As to times...well, I must admit we've begun our preparations VERY early. We will be in England NEXT September.2010 but we were trying to get an "idea" of costs now....

We will need the vehicle for 2 weeks and yes, it must be automatic...

Again, thanks for all the input...

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Agencies

as others have said, you will be overcharged for a MPV. But most places have them. Things to consider:

- we are used to driving small cosy cars over here, and think nothing of putting 4 adults in a car than wouldn't be viewed as big enough for a pet in the US... think about how long and how often you will spend in the car and how much luggage you've got before booking. maybe a large saloon or estate would actually be large enough, and you could probably hire a merc saloon for the same price as an mpv

- do you need point-to-point drop off, or is it returning to same place? if P2P, only the big firms and generally only to the most popular places is possible

- try and organise your trip so your car use is grouped. if you are spending any time in london don't get a car, only hire a car when travelling. otherwise you're be spending £25 a day on parking alone..

- if you are contemplating driving in london, don't.

- google "car hire voucher codes" for the car hire firm you choose. we love these over here now, and its a bit of competition never to pay face value for anything.

9. Re: Car Rental Agencies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 12:19